Rope gasket replacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I'm going to replace the door gasket on my nc30. How do I butt the ends up on the gasket? Trying to avoid having a lower high spot in that area

(They use a pellet stove door as an example).
I replaced mine this past summer. The gasket ends just butt each other tightly. This video shows the butts on the latch side but the NC30 originally had the butts on the hinge side and that's what I did.

Take a look at your existing gasket, mark with a piece of tape were the ends terminate, take old gasket off, scrape with a wire brush the grove in the door removing all gasket cement, dry lay the new gasket, you want it to be snug but not tight, this will keep it from flattening, mark area were future cut will be made, lay in new bead of gasket cement and then lay in the new gasket, again not tight, when you get back to the start with the end piece of gasket take a new razor and cut it, I like to go a hair longer to insure when I mesh it in the grove the ends butt up to each other and are not tight so they are the same size.
After fitting, take the door, and shut it but dont latch it, just let the weight of the door rest against the stove body, leave it like that overnight, after that, make a fire and enjoy.
While replacing the door gasket check the glass window gasket, without loosening the retainer clips see if you can wiggle the glass, if it moves noticeably check to make sure the retainer clips are snug, if they are snug and the gasket looks beat, then replace it, if the retainer clips are loose, just snug them down gently. Do this before putting on the new gasket.

Reactions: FixerUpper