Rotten wood in outdoor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OWB owners just need to get into the habit of using good fuel. It's the use of poor fuel that causes the problem, not the OWB
I agree ...up to a point. I think the problem is more "pilot error" then anything. Properly seasoned and sized wood is a must.
How bout just maybe add another "stoking" to the schedule.. Don't let the burn get to ashes between stoking....then jam every void full around two green logs. I believe there ARE good owb's out there...but you must be a responsible operator .

Agreed, I feel that I am a responsible operator. However, on my ride to and from work I am reminded that the many OWB users suck. When I bought my central boiler they dealer told me with a smile " if it fits through the door it burns". He is right, but the side affects are pretty terrible.

It's a bad deal, and eventually will affect all of us who prefer to burn wood. Only thing that I do is remind others that I know burn wood, to burn responsibly.

Reactions: iceguy4
I come from propane side of the fight... ya my owb is not a gasser yes its smokey n yes prob not the best for the air but I'm saving money using it..I burn wet/green/dry/seasoned wood. ..if it burns I burn it....I'm saving money....I hate how people on here think if someone has a owb they are thought of differently...just my thoughts I guess
And thats why we are all here. If all i had was rotten wood i would burn cord upon cord of it before refilling a tank of oil or propane. There are better ways, thats all. I am not here to knock anybody with an owb (or any biomass burner for that matter) that is operated to the best of ones means. Run what yah brung. If you would rather save some money up front and spend your time processig more wood and feeding boiler, well, god bless america!

Reactions: BoilerMan
I come from propane side of the fight... ya my owb is not a gasser yes its smokey n yes prob not the best for the air but I'm saving money using it..I burn wet/green/dry/seasoned wood. ..if it burns I burn it....I'm saving money....I hate how people on here think if someone has a owb they are thought of differently...just my thoughts I guess
You do realize you aren't burning green wood.Green wood is full of water.Water is what firemen use to put out fires.It takes around half of the btu's in a green log to heat the water to steam so it can be released out the chimney.Then the rest of the log can burn.
Thomas

Reactions: Coal Reaper
It takes around half of the btu's in a green log to heat the water to steam so it can be released out the chimney
In other words twice the work because you didn't think ahead to let it season.

Reactions: BoilerMan
You do realize you aren't burning green wood.Green wood is full of water.Water is what firemen use to put out fires.It takes around half of the btu's in a green log to heat the water to steam so it can be released out the chimney.Then the rest of the log can burn.
Thomas
In a pinch it works

In a pinch it works

Aaaah I see ...heating season snuck up on you. Tires, plastic, wire also work in a pinch. Your neighbors must love you.. :mad::mad::mad::mad: And you seem to brag about it...:confused::confused:

Aaaah I see ...heating season snuck up on you. Tires, plastic, wire also work in a pinch. Your neighbors must love you.. :mad::mad::mad::mad: And you seem to brag about it...:confused::confused:
no actually i found my stove on CL for a great deal in July and i rushed around and got everything installed and ordered to be able to heat with it this year...i have seasoned wood to burn... but not alot so when my uncle asked if i wanted this wood which was cut down 4 years ago and stacked in 8 foot sections piled 8 feet tall by 60 feet long mix of all kind of wood i couldnt say no... yeah some is punky and rotten but it burns...fill my stove up at night and she burns all night long heating a house and a pole barn. i didnt have much time..not to mention i had a kid in june... no i dont burn tires..no i dont burn trash/plastic..just crappy wood..lol

Last edited:
Burn the wood, keep your family warm. Then get properly prepared for next season.

Just maybe watch the wind when you load the stove to keep smoke away from the neighbors or from the road.

Reactions: iceguy4
U must be rich then
No one is "rich" here. I suspect when we are all banned from burning wood due to a few who abuse it, the worst offenders will be the most outspoken about how un-just it is. unfortunately the "many" will have to pay for what the "few" do.

Been a while, but I was thinking of this forum looking at the picture this morning. Wood, it's always about the wood. A nice visual to help decide if the junk wood is worth it. I went scrounging for some extra wood during this -15 to - 5 cold snap we are having here. To funny to see that it did not have enough BTU's to heat the tank at all. Basically fill and fill and fill went thru 1/2 cord, then shifted back to the "good" stuff last night. No knobs or switches changed. If a picture is worth a 1000 words it's just not worth the work to collect it and burn it. Free or not.

BTW, Never really wanted to see the bottom of my house chart that says I need 91,300 BTU's / hr @ -15 but I guess you could say that is exactly what the somewhat cheesy standing ash was worth.

Nice to see some familiar names still chiming in. I'm still happily plugging away with the eko 60, saving us a ton of cash. My friend was just complaining about having to shovel a path through the 10' snow pile for his propane guy :)

Attachments

• Wood_ColdSpell.PNG
    Wood_ColdSpell.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 128
90k an hour.. about what I need to keep the whole house 70 when it's -10 outside. Dang glad it's coming from wood, from my own land. MUCH better than coming from that stinky oil boiler growling away 24 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.