Rotten wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lmmatta

Dec 10, 2020
Maryland
I was given a load of wood...it looked ok but as I split it it revealed layers of wood on the inside that separated quite easily. It was almost like balsa. I assume this wood is too far gone to put the effort into splitting and stacking?
20210118_111614.jpg

It all depends on what else you have available. There is no doubt it will burn. I burned half a cord of similar stuff at the beginning of this season. I was actually surprised at how much heat it put out. Many of the splits looked rotten but were surprisingly heavy (and yes, definitely dry!). If they are wet now and noticeably lightweight then it won't supply a lot of heat.

Reactions: JimBear
Yes it burns but its like a sponge. If its damp its not worth burning.

Dry Rotted

Reactions: Lmmatta
Rotten.

Throw it out in the woods it will make great mulch.

When it looks/feels like balsa, I've found it useless.

That looks nasty, but I wonder if some small pieces would be good enough for kindling?

Is there a term for what this wood has done?

Punky . . . pretty much dry rotted wood.

If I have some I'll generally burn it in the fire pit vs. saving it for the woodstove. As long as it is dry however and kept dry it's OK to burn.

Reactions: Stinkpickle