Routing Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bk1

Oct 5, 2015
WI
I have talked to several dealers and all want to route the stove pipe directly up through the roof. I have a friend who has had a stove for years and LOVES that his is routed out the wall and then up.

He said that routing it this way gave him the ability to put an easily accessible clean out spot in the pipe outside at ground level. He just removes a section, runs a brush up the pipe and he's done. Cleanup is done outside so he has no troubles with the ash mess etc.

What do you guys think? Any way to clean things out yourself without having a chimney sweep if you go straight out the roof? Where I am putting it would be in a low section of the roof. So, the pipe would have to extend up a ways from the roof where it exists the roof.

Thanks for the help!

Depends on the stove but in general a straight up pipe will have better draft. Your also keeping more heat in the home running it inside

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Depends on the stove but in general a straight up pipe will have better draft. Your also keeping more heat in the home running it inside

I agree for the stove's sake. But I can picture the ease of cleaning. I too would side with the stove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow, did my local chimney sweep send you guys? :)

I appreciate the fact that it's better to vent straight up. I just wish it didn't mean having to call a chimney sweep to clean it out. How do they do it when the pipe goes so much higher than the roof below it?

Any good ways to do it from inside without making a huge mess everywhere?

Cost is another factor. Class A chimney is way more expensive then single or double wall...

Google SootEater. It's a spinning chimney brush that let's you clean from bottom up or top down. (Why don't I ever think of these things and get rich?)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How do they do it when the pipe goes so much higher than the roof below it?
Straight up through the stove. And yes a good vacuum and some experience and you can control the dust just fine. And by the way the people who make soot eater didn't think of it either that basic design has been used by sweeps in Europe for 40 years

Yes, I have cleaned my Mom's stove pipe many times.
I get a good 8 foot step ladder. Disconnect the pipe where it connects to the ceiling pass through. Take the pipe outside and brush it on the ground.
Get a big 55 gallon trash bag. Get your pipe brush and screw on one four foot fiberglass extention. Stick this extension into the bag, and poke a hole through the bottom of the bag with the extension, so that the fiberglass rod is sticking out.
Get up on the ladder and tape the opening of the bag to the ceiling with duct tape, so that it surrounds the pipe pass through.
Now, the brush and rod are inside the bag.
Run the brush 3 feet up into the pipe. Screw another extension onto the rod, and run it 7 feet up. Keep screwing on extensions until you reach the top of the pipe.
All the creosote will fall into the trash bag.

Takes about 15 minutes to clean the pipe, maybe on tablespoon of creosote will land on the floor.

Yes, I have cleaned my Mom's stove pipe many times.
I get a good 8 foot step ladder. Disconnect the pipe where it connects to the ceiling pass through. Take the pipe outside and brush it on the ground.
Get a big 55 gallon trash bag. Get your pipe brush and screw on one four foot fiberglass extention. Stick this extension into the bag, and poke a hole through the bottom of the bag with the extension, so that the fiberglass rod is sticking out.
Get up on the ladder and tape the opening of the bag to the ceiling with duct tape, so that it surrounds the pipe pass through.
Now, the brush and rod are inside the bag.
Run the brush 3 feet up into the pipe. Screw another extension onto the rod, and run it 7 feet up. Keep screwing on extensions until you reach the top of the pipe.
All the creosote will fall into the trash bag.

Yeah occasionally if I cant go up through a stove I will do it that way. But I hate doing it It is a pain and there is allot more risk of dusting the house if something goes wrong. But it does work

Any good ways to do it from inside without making a huge mess everywhere?

Move middle baffle bricks to the side.
Insert first Sooteater rod.
Tape plastic over stove opening, leaving just a slit for cleaning rods.
Work Sooteater to the top, adding rods.
Bring Sooteater back down, removing rods.
Remove plastic.
Put baffle bricks back in position.

I almost hate to admit this since I know technically going straight up and out results in a better draft . . . but I love my out and up chimney. Draft is fine and as mentioned, it's wicked easy to clean -- although, unlike your friend, I don't have to take the chimney apart -- I simply remove the cap in the bottom of the T -- three screws and it's out. Sweeping from the ground up results in a 10-15 minute job.

Status
Not open for further replies.