Roxul smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
Yesterday I put roxul into the damper opening above my insert. It made a huge improvement in the heat from my Montpelier. Last night I came home and had a pretty hot fire going and I started to get a smell in the house. The insert is broken in already, so will I keep smelling this smell with the roxul? I opened windows and it went away but I let the fire go out overnight.

Im insulated with Roxul and never had any kind of smell, interesting.

That's why I'm confused. Nobody ever complained of a smell on here. I'm going to try it again tonight and see what happens.

Is it possible you knocked some stuff down on top of the insert while installing the Roxul and that is burning creating the smell?

Either that or he's insulated so well that whatever coating, from fires past, remains inside his fireplace is now heating up & burning off, & the smell has nowhere to go but into the room...

How new is your insert? Is it the same smell as your break in fires?

I cleaned off the top of the insert with a wet paper towel. I lit a fire after I did the insulation and didn't smell anything. Then later on last night I loaded it up and that's when I started smelling it. I've had many fires but maybe it's just alittle extra curing? I must say though the insulation made a total difference. I am actually impressed with the Montpelier now. I was starting to regret my choice until last night. I just hope the smell doesn't come back.

I will guess that it is still curing. I've done my break in fires upto 600f on the top and if I go over that I still get some smell

I cleaned off the top of the insert with a wet paper towel. I lit a fire after I did the insulation and didn't smell anything. Then later on last night I loaded it up and that's when I started smelling it. I've had many fires but maybe it's just alittle extra curing? I must say though the insulation made a total difference. I am actually impressed with the Montpelier now. I was starting to regret my choice until last night. I just hope the smell doesn't come back.

Due tell how its performing. That stove was on my list when we were looking.

I was disappointed with it in the very beginning. It wasn't putting out the heat I expected. The house still got up to 76,78 with 40 degree temps outside but I didn't think it could keep up when the temps got into the teens.
After the roxul I had all my windows open and the house was still 80 and climbing. Outside temps were in the high 30s and windy. I could actually feel the heat I was missing before the roxul. I would like to complete the job and install the plate but I just replaced my roof myself so I'm done with projects for a couple weeks.

Reactions: etiger2007
I also love the looks and the flush design.
The very only thing is the smaller firebox, but the huge glass window keeps clean and the wife likes the view of the fire.

I also love the looks and the flush design.
The very only thing is the smaller firebox, but the huge glass window keeps clean and the wife likes the view of the fire.
How long can you go between re loads?

im still learning, but i can relight in the morning on coals. i load it up around 11 at night. i have to learn the amount of wood through out the evening so i don't have to wait to load it before bed.

I have this same issue. I decided to create a block off plate with the roxul because I wasn't getting the heat output I needed. I lined the fireplace with the roxul as well. The first couple days I had this strange smell in the house but it went away so I didn't think anything of it. Tonight it's pretty cold out so I have a big fire going and the smell came back. I hope the roxul isn't melting, which shouldn't be the case with a 2100 degree rating. Any ideas?

I also just insulated with roxul around my insert this weekend. As soon as I relit it and cranked it back up to 650, I also had a little but of a smell. That was yesterday and today it seems to have come and gone already. I wouldn't worry about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.