Roxul types - urgent advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The data sheets for both Safe N Sound and the R15/R23 specify "Behavior at 750°C: Non-combustible."

The packaging make it look like one is flame resistant and the other one isn't, but I doubt they have different melting points. Marketing department at play, perhaps

In either case, if it's 750C above your block off plate, your chimney is already on fire anyway!.

I am not expert, but I just insulated my fireplace with the Comfort Batts. I understand the Safe 'N' Sound stuff is designed for wall cavities. They both have high temp ratings, but the Comfort Batts might be better for the fireplace.

I just went to Lowes where I could pick up one package. Most places online (including Lowes) make you by three at a time. Lowes only had the R15 Comfort Batts in the store.

I used Roxul Rockboard behind Durock on the walls of the firebox as well.

I actually have a lot of this stuff left over. To bad you are not closer, I would sell it to you cheap.

I actually have a lot of this stuff left over. To bad you are not closer, I would sell it to you cheap.

Thanks, I was at lowes and needed to make a decision - I did end up buying the safe n sound - but at this point I don't think it matters since i'll just be stuffing it up. thanks for your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.