Roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
Hello all. I looked using the search but cant quite find the answer. Would it be ok to stuff roxul in and around my insert? There is some space I could fit some roxul in and on top of. Can I lay some on top as well? I would do it so it is touching the insert. Thanks for your response!

Hello all. I looked using the search but cant quite find the answer. Would it be ok to stuff roxul in and around my insert? There is some space I could fit some roxul in and on top of. Can I lay some on top as well? I would do it so it is touching the insert. Thanks for your response!
What kind of insert do you have?

I don’t think you would want to lay it on your insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s a good idea. I just did mine. I insulated above the block off plate and around the insert.

Do you have a block off plate?

Attachments

• 016361A3-B04B-4966-A842-FE5D580335C8.jpeg
    016361A3-B04B-4966-A842-FE5D580335C8.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 223
Yes, it’s a good idea. I just did mine. I insulated above the block off plate and around the insert.

Webby3650 Master of Fire How did you attach your Roxul to the back of the box?

Roxul bats are very rigid, almost like insulation board. If you cut them to fit tight, they will stay put on their own.

Id cover it with dura rock as well otherwise alot of fibers will blow in the living area. Ive heard spray it with heat paint also works.
Blockoff plate and insulate above that b4 you install it.
I did the roxel/durarock on back wall, sides aren't exterior.
20151017_145952~2.jpg

Reactions: kennyp2339
Id cover it with dura rock as well otherwise alot of fibers will blow in the living area. Ive heard spray it with heat paint work also works.
View attachment 220782
How will fibers be blown into the living space? Blower air enters the bottom of the stove and exits the top, it’s a sealed convection jacket.

I would also recommend doing the sides as well, even if it’s not exterior. The stone sidewalls will still soak up that cold from the back and radiant it through the sidewalls.

How will fibers be blown into the living space? Blower air enters the bottom of the stove and exits the top, it’s a sealed convection jacket.

Mine has slot openings on the lower sides, fan blows into channel and grabs air from behind also...
IMG_20180115_073624~2.jpg

Mine has slot openings on the lower sides, fan blows into channel and grabs air from behind also...
View attachment 220784
I don’t really like the sound of that design. Most units are sealed up pretty well, so no particles insulation could make their way in.
Not to mention, diluting the hot air being forced through by the blower.

I was kinda short on room to do the sides and being it wasnt outside i just did back, i agree it would be better of course.

Ive read on here people saying to paint the roxel so particals wouldn't come into room. I still see some fibers, is it roxel idk. Maybe from around liner and blockoff plate.

I just pulled my fan, the slots are not in the fan channel but where the stove grabs its primary/secondary air, so yeah i see what your saying...

I was kinda short on room to do the sides and being it wasnt outside i just did back, i agree it would be better of course.

Ive read on here people saying to paint the roxel so particals wouldn't come into room. I still see some fibers, is it roxel idk. Maybe from around liner and blockoff plate.

I just pulled my fan, the slots are not in the fan channel but where the stove grabs its primary/secondary air, so yeah i see what your saying...
I had plenty of room, so I stuffed full! I’ve been dealing with ice cold stone. I’m talking 27 degree stone!

I was able to get to get back up behind this whole damn brick disaster and airseal/roxel as well!

Left side up through wood storage
20160119_182656.jpg
Right side access from garage
20160423_135157.jpg
From inside view
IMG_20171022_193731.jpg

This area was so cold b4 i did this stuff, there was 0 insulation separating brick from outside.

Roxul bats are very rigid, almost like insulation board. If you cut them to fit tight, they will stay put on their own.
Roxul bats are not that rigid, you must have the rigid roxul boards. My Roxul bats flopped right over the top of the stove. There are two different products, and the rigid stuff wasn't available when I bought mine.

I would also recommend doing the sides as well, even if it’s not exterior. The stone sidewalls will still soak up that cold from the back and radiant it through the sidewalls.
Bad advice. If I did that, I'd block my air intakes.

Perhaps your stove. Dont make blanket statements that are not accurate. Many SBI, and I believe many other inserts, have air intakes on the sides.

I don’t really like the sound of that design. Most units are sealed up pretty well, so no particles insulation could make their way in.
Not to mention, diluting the hot air being forced through by the blower.
Not accurate.

Davo- don't lay insulation on top until you check with the manufacturer. They might also want a gap around the sides. The possible consequences are overheating and wrecking your stove.

You do want an insulated block off plate above the stove. If you can insulate the backs and side of the fireplace and maintain whatever gap the manufacturer recommends, and keep your air intakes clear, that might help a little, too.

Perhaps your stove. Dont make blanket statements that are not accurate. Many SBI, and I believe many other inserts, have air intakes on the sides.
I install about 7 different brands of stoves, including SBI, I’m speaking from experience. Not just my 1 personal stove..

Roxul bats are not that rigid, you must have the rigid roxul boards. My Roxul bats flopped right over the top of the stove. There are two different products, and the rigid stuff wasn't available when I bought mine.
You bought the wrong stuff then. The board is not necessary, true Roxul brand bats are very stiff.

Attachments

• D04549E0-A26E-4921-B1DF-7A3A88198B3F.jpeg
    D04549E0-A26E-4921-B1DF-7A3A88198B3F.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 148
Id cover it with dura rock as well otherwise alot of fibers will blow in the living area. Ive heard spray it with heat paint also works.
Blockoff plate and insulate above that b4 you install it.
View attachment 220782
There should be no air circulation behind the insert. It's very unlikely any fibers would be blown into the room.

Reactions: webby3650
I still think fibers fall off and make its way into the room. Yeah the blower channel is not connected to the back area, the air intake is but that would just suck the fibers into the stove and rid them.
I just see shiny little fibers on the top of my door where blower blows out. My back has durarock so maybe it comes from the hole the liner goes through and as that gets hotter it moves fibers, idk lol
Its not alot so im not worried...

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000