RTV for Hearthstone door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jumperjack

Jan 13, 2014
northeast
Well opened the door to my hearthstone and the gasket literally fell off bottom of door. I have hearthstone replacement but reading here seems as if everyone is using RTV high temp to put new one in. I have rutland 800* flexible latex sealant but reading back of tube it says this is not an adhesive but a sealer so is this ok to use for gasket replacement? It also says on front metal and aluminum so I think might not bond to the gasket.

I wouldn't use that. It's latex based. Use a good RTV silicone adhesive instead. Rutland makes one, but a red or black Permatex or Loctite variety is also ok.

I wouldn't use that. It's latex based. Use a good RTV silicone adhesive instead. Rutland makes one, but a red or black Permatex or Loctite variety is also ok.
Yes I ordered the rutland 600* rtv silicone which says it is adhesive and sealer and bonds to fiberglass gasket. Will be here tomorrow. My gasket has round edge on one side and flat edge on other side and channel in door is rounded so I figure round to door channel flat side to stove is that right? How much silicone to use ?

Use enough to provide a good bond, but not a sloppy, messy amount of ooze. Maybe a 1/4" bead in the gasket channel? Once the gasket is glued in place, close the stove door for at least 12 hrs. to allow the RTV to setup.

Will do thanks for your help. One other thing my gasket seems to have a round side and other side is flat the door channel is rounded so I figure round side into channel flat side to stove side is that right?

I been using Permatex ultra copper high temp RTV gasket. Get it in a auto parts store. It was around for years before all the stove people and manufactures discovered high temp RTV. I use generic grafite round rope gasket. In the package they get a little flattened. I just reform them. If your OEM gasket has a flat side see if it mates correctly with the the stove. Whats nice is the RTV is easy the scrape out of the door groove, the next time you do a gasket.

Whats nice is the RTV is easy the scrape out of the door groove, the next time you do a gasket.
In general this is true but not for Permatex Blue RTV. It hardens like a rock and it's a challenge to clean out of the gasket channel. Copper is fine. It was designed for turbochargers.

Well put on new gasket all went well but after I was done door is hard to close which I'm hoping gets easier as it gets used a bit. I had to tighten latch side for now to get it to seal as hinge side was was keeping it out a bit due to tight fit and hitting stove first. I guess after wearing in for a while it will get better.

Was this the OEM gasket for the stove?