Running a Vermont Cast Iron Defiant in non-catalytic form

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AshGirl

Mar 14, 2017
Massachusetts
We bought a house with a Vermont Cast Iron Defiant installed...I'm guess its less than 6 or 7 years old at this point. I want to run in in non-catalytic converter form and my question is do I just take out the catalytic converter box and put the 2 ceramic covers back in place or do I leave those covers off too?

I KNOW its much more efficient to run it with he catalyst in place but I can't stop the stove from back puffing and it freaks me out to run it. We have had the chimney lined, we burn only seasoned wood, I have had the chimney cleaned 2x this year (just in case the first guy didn't do it right) and we have replaced the catalyst.

Any ideas??

We bought a house with a Vermont Cast Iron Defiant installed...I'm guess its less than 6 or 7 years old at this point. I want to run in in non-catalytic converter form and my question is do I just take out the catalytic converter box and put the 2 ceramic covers back in place or do I leave those covers off too?

I KNOW its much more efficient to run it with he catalyst in place but I can't stop the stove from back puffing and it freaks me out to run it. We have had the chimney lined, we burn only seasoned wood, I have had the chimney cleaned 2x this year (just in case the first guy didn't do it right) and we have replaced the catalyst.

Any ideas??
How tall is your chimney? Back puffing usually happens when wood MC is high, chimney is not at the minimum height, and quite often operator error. If you are shutting down the air down to fast (especially on a short chimney)you will more than likely experience back puffing. Explain your burn procedure and we can better help you.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Remove the cat, then put the refractory panels back in place.

Last edited by a moderator: