Running furnace fan to destribute heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
New here and preparing to install a pellet burner very soon. Question is, does anyone run their furnace fan to help distribute heat thru the house created by their stove? I am thinking this may benefit my crawlspace pipes as well and keep from freezing during very cold weather. In central Ohio so temps are not bad, most of the time...
Thx in advance, Bubba

Yep, move as much air as possible.

To me it would cool down the air to much unless you can slow down the blower... I only run the pellet stove while someone is home. The furnace I leave set at 10 and turn it up to 15 when I get home do the stove can get things warm. When the outside temp drops to -10 outside the furnace sits at 15. Pipes have not froze yet. I still save about 400 plus a year after all stove supplies and a much warmer house... if it was just me I would not even turn furnace on because I find house warm after 1/2 hour of stove running no matter what the temp it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

forgot to mention 1300sqft ranch on shallow crawl. NOT open floor plan but stove will be centrally located in 250sqft living room.
Was wondering if this will cause a backdraft and smoke up the house? WILL be using an oak.

In my opinion it depends on what type of floor plan you have and where your return is. If you have a cathedral ceiling and can modify the return to draw in warm/hot air from the top it is probably (even though it will not make a substantial difference) worth it, if you are drawing in air from near the floor it will be much cooler before you even get started.

I tried using the furnace blower to circulate the warm air(stove in basement) but was unsuccessful. Each situation is different. Try and see if you notice a difference.

In my opinion it depends on what type of floor plan you have and where your return is. If you have a cathedral ceiling and can modify the return to draw in warm/hot air from the top it is probably (even though it will not make a substantial difference) worth it, if you are drawing in air from near the floor it will be much cooler before you even get started.
All my returns are in ceiling due to downdraft furnace and small furnace room. Obviously, my heating system is rather odd.

All my returns are in ceiling due to downdraft furnace and small furnace room. Obviously, my heating system is rather odd.
If your returns are up high the air you will be distributing will be warmer than if it was low. Try it and see, just put a thermometer in the duct.

I use the furnace fan to move the warmer air downstairs. I made a hole in the return duct so that warm air gets there through the stairwell.

I also have a ranch on a crawlspace. I did this last year - theory being the same, run some heat through the underbelly (mfr'ed home) when it's cold. Pipes never froze. However, I have not this year. 10-20 outside, crawlspace is noticeably warm without doing this. so I've not worried about it this year. Also central OH, stove is only used source of heat. Can't hurt, but not sure if it'd be beneficial. Just my $.02, YMMV.

Live in a self built 28X40 log home, with a 14X20 loft open overlooking the living room and a large master bed room w3ith bath using like 28X20 of the space up stairs. Down stairs is Kitchen / dining / laundry / bed room #2, a full bath room, a smallish bed room used as mostly just extra space. Basement is 10 feet tall. Pellet stove is on a hearth I built in corner of living rom. Return for built in ducts is one downstairs in hallway to bed rooms, and one in our master bed room. We do sometimes use the blower only, but more often just run house heat on a low setting. We also use 4 ceiling fans at times, and a couple small infared heaters for touch ups. Three sides of the basement are in ground, 4th side was built with a patio which is mostly now enclosed under a 40 foot front porch. Basement might drop into 50s if it gets really cold out. That room out there where was a patio really helps to shield it.