Running insert without fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason845845

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2014
Kingston, Ny
Hey all. I plan on picking up a used England stove works 13 nci insert to put into my fireplace. It won't be a primary source of heat or even secondary for that matter, just some nights and weekends and power outages.

The room it will be in is roughly 800 square feet and is the kitchen, dining room and living room. Low ceilings.

My question is, will it heat the room it is in without using the blower? I really don't want to hear it going, if I'm going to hear a fan I might as well just crank up the pellet stove and sit in front of that.

Thanks guys.

Hey all. I plan on picking up a used England stove works 13 nci insert to put into my fireplace. It won't be a primary source of heat or even secondary for that matter, just some nights and weekends and power outages.

You could do that. It won't be as efficient, but used as described it will still provide heat. FWIW, the blower on low speed should be quieter than the pellet stove, but not silent. On high it could be noisier.

This stove is going to want fully seasoned fire wood and at least a 15ft chimney to perform well.

An alternative might be to install a freestanding stove in or in front of the fireplace with a block-off plate.

Last edited:
The room it will be in is roughly 800 square feet and is the kitchen, dining room and living room. Low ceilings.
My question is, will it heat the room it is in without using the blower? I really don't want to hear it going, if I'm going to hear a fan I might as well just crank up the pellet stove and sit in front of that.
Thanks guys.
you are going to need a full liner for it as well preferably an insulated one

I have a flushed insert in the size of a room you described plus vaulted ceiling because my insert is flushed it would probably not provide any heat if the fan was off and I use it as a primary heating source. On the other hand I did notice that if I start the stove from cold by the time it gets to the working temperature( fan kicks on) that room will rise 2f according to a thermometer which is about 15' away. It's due just from a radiant heat from the glass. So to answer your question you will get some heat but not much. Just like begreen said you might be better of installing a freestanding stove.

Last edited:
I turn off the blower on my Jotul insert when I reload, and occasionally will forget to turn it back on, and there is a very noticeable loss of heat output.
You'd be much better off with a free standing stove, even if its a smaller one to it doesn't stick out into the room very far.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! Looks like I'll just keep the fireplace a fireplace and enjoy it and continue heating with the pellet stove.

I run a flush insert and the fan is a must to get max heat. However, I don't have to run the fan on super high and would say in some ways the fan speed isn't that critical. I don't have data, but my perception is that with fan on low you get hotter air out just less of it. Total BTUs seems roughly the same. You have to have the fan on and on more than minimal, but there's a tipping point where more fan doesn't really yield significantly more heat

You have to have the fan on and on more than minimal, but there's a tipping point where more fan doesn't really yield significantly more heat
This is very true of my Northstar. No fan running still puts out heat, but its very localized to right in front of the stove, and my mantle gets uncomfortably hot. Just a little more velocity than the lowest possible fan setting seems to be the sweet spot for getting the heat moved around the room, but not cooling off the firebox to the point that it doesn't want to burn well. Full fan is for those "uh oh" moments where the fire takes off more than you're comfortable with and you need to cool the stove down.

Status
Not open for further replies.