running PEX through the wall question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

88rxn/a

Feb 12, 2008
northeast PA
for my upstairs im going to run the PEX tubing along a stud then cover with sheat rock since its right in the dining room. i was wondering what to do in case of a line break? can i run a 1 inch PVC pipe along the joist and run my 3/4 inch PEX inside the PVC in case it ever decided to go/break?
if not, what other options do i have? as you can tell, im no plumber so thats why i asked.

thanks,
tom

Maybe a piece of steel pipe or conduit in case somebody decides to drive a screw through the drywall someday.

maybe i should just bite the high priced copper bullet and use the stuff? i never thought of that!

why would it break?
Pex has been used along studs, joists, etc for many years without a problem. If it happens to be an outside wall with freeze potential I'd rather pex than copper ;). If it is an interior wall, place it mid stud and no nails should cause it harm.

hr

88rxn/a said:
maybe i should just bite the high priced copper bullet and use the stuff? i never thought of that!

Pex is less likely to have trouble than rigid pipe. It will usually deflect instead of being pierced, if hit by a nail.

If you are stapling along a stud, run in the middle third. If you are going crosswise through drilled holes, you should use steel strikeplates for any pipe, regardless of whether it is pex or rigid.

Joe

ok, dont know why i was worried about the PEX breaking inside the wall? maybe the "PEX BLEW UP thread?" but then again, it was over high heat (the boiler or something) when it blew i think? mine will be inside the house along a stud.

thanks,
tom

A little additional item would be to run a length of flex conduit and or romex for future use as long as you are going to tear up the wall/s

I've fixed alot of copper pipes that froze or have nailed or screwed into (nail plates prevent that). Insulating the pipes helps but does nothing to create heat. Its some times colder in a house with no heat then it is outside ( insulation works both ways) always insulate pipe from the cold not from the warm side. I would trust the PEX any day. You didn't say if the pipes were going to be used for heating, if they are then you must use a O2 barrier pex or air will transfer into the heating system and destroy the boiler !

Don't worry about piercing the pex with your screw. Be more worried about the electrical wires which are also fastened to studs.

Interior or exterior wall? Aside from freezing issues it should be fine. As a builder we use pex for all heating supply and return as well as domestic water. It's more durable than copper in some ways because it's flexible. Usually when it freezes it won't break like copper, it just expands.

Status
Not open for further replies.