Joshc Posted By Joshc, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM

1. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    I have a rear exit stove and was wondering if I could just run the stove pipe straight out the wall or do I need to 90° it up, go up a few feet, and then 90° it out? I will be having about 12' of chimney pipe on the outside.

Attached Files:

2. WinterinWI

WinterinWI
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    You have a few other problems you have to deal with first. Do you have a plan for the other problems with the picture? As shown, you're asking to burn your house down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    Yes, I will be putting a heat shield on the wall and making sure my clearances are correct. I gotta know how I can run the stove pipe before I make heat shields.

4. WinterinWI

WinterinWI
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    You could physically pass a thimble through right at the wall right behind it. Not sure if that is allowed, the experts will be here shortly to answer that. Hopefully you have a plan for floor protection?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    You can run straight out but you don't want to. It will make it impossible to install any other stove in the future.

You also cannot run stove pipe out the wall. You have to run stove pipe to the chimney pipe which will go out the wall.

WinterinWI likes this.
  6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thought this was going to be a shop stove. It is designed to vent to a liner in a fireplace and as noted in the other thread, not a legal install in WA state, especially not in a home.

7. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    Yes I need to run stove pipe to the chimney pipe which will go out the wall. How I wrote it I can see how you thought I was going all stove pipe out.

8. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    My shop has an area set up that is a bar/pool room. That is where the stove is going.

9. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  10. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    Yes I understand that. My biggest concern is if it will draft correctly. As of now and the amount I will be using it I cant justify buying a newer one.

11. MAD MARK

MAD MARK
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 31, 2016
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Keep us updated on this install please. More pictures help with questions as well.

12. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    Will do! Do you think I will have drafting problems if I take it straight out the wall instead of going up first and then out?

13. MAD MARK

MAD MARK
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 31, 2016
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I'd rather not give my opinion here.

14. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    You probably won't have a draft problem but it will mean when you go to replace that stove you will need to redo the chimney and patch the hole.

moresnow likes this.
  15. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    If I really wanted a stove out there I would first do a proper chimney job. Not sure what you have for a structure to work with, but IMO & first choice that would be a chimney straight up & through, above the stove area. Then later when you decide this stove isn't all that and/or you find a better one, it will hook right up as easily as possible. The chimney will be the real investment here and basically become part of the structure, practically speaking. What stove gets connected to it would be secondary.