Rust in the Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

susanr

Sep 19, 2014
Quarryville PA
Hi - In June 2014, I purchased a mobile home that was built in 2001. It has a MARCO Direct Vent BDM35 gas (propane) fireplace. Maintenance was kept up. But I have what appears to be rust or discoloration in the fireplace. wondering if this will create a problem when using this winter (not sole source of heat)? Wondering if there is something I can do -- possible paint with fire rated paint? to make this go away. Was quoted in excess of $6,000 to replace this thing ... one of the main reasons I bought the house .... need to make it safe -- Suggestions and thoughts please before I turn it on? PHOTO -- click on to open, but pay no attention to that white space at the top -- it is NOT a part of the fireplace --- shot the photo through the glass, it is a reflection of something behind me.... thanks,

Attachments

• 2014-09-19 16.08.11.jpg
    2014-09-19 16.08.11.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 283
It's a normal condition. Turn the pilot off & remove the front.
Remove the logs & glowing embers if there are any.
Just hit the spots in question with a steel wool pad & vacuum up the dust.
Then get some Stove Bright Satin Black & paint the inside,
including the log grate if there is one.
Let it dry & replace whatever logs & embers you removed.
Clean the inside of the glass while you have the front off..
Replace the front...
Should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.