Rust inside my Empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
Hi,

I installed my Empress last year and I went to do a full cleaning for this year and noticed rust.

I cleaned the ash pan and firebox weekly last year.....and never saw rust.

Is this normal?

How can I take care of it???

Should I just sand and repiant with HI-Temp paint?

Any suggections would be great.

2857175677_b774f72b68.jpg

2858000142_a9fdd36726.jpg

2857180823_b1bc9ef0c8.jpg

Its just a bit of surface rust and not much to be concerned about. Especially if the stove in in the basement . You might want to run a dehumidifier in the humid summer months to prevent this but it`s really not a big deal..
Just spray it with a light coat of WD40 , let it set for a while and wipe it down. The rust should be nearly gone.

AT the end of the year would it help to spray it with a little WD 40 as well?

should I spray wd40 on all of the rust? or just the back plates?

If the rust is removed from wall behind the back plates should I paint it to prevent it from rusting again.

Also, wd40 is flamable....should I be concerned about spraying it inside the stove?

Since i just took my stove apart to snap a pic of the control board for another member i am noticing the same surface rust inside mine also. I hit it with a quick blast of wd40 and wiped it down with a rag. I am not worried about the wd40 being flamable, most of it will evaporate before the stove is ran.

Which reminds me after i did an annual cleaning in the spring i was gonna toss a box of silica gel in there to prevent any moisture problems. I think a box of baking soda would do it also during the humid summer months.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.