Rust spot from a leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndburn

Sep 11, 2015
oregon
Last week on the rear of the PE Super I noticed a water spot, there is a white ring and a minor surface rust spot about the size of a quarter. I looked up and noticed where water was seeping in around the flue collar at the ceiling. I think (hope) I found the leak culprit and took care of it, the true test will be this week, we have a big rain event due in, fingers crossed no more leak. What is the best approach to take care of the blemish on the stove, should I use steel wool on the rust spot and then hit it with some stove paint?

Sanding it makes it even more obvious usually. If it's smooth, I'd just wipe it down and paint it.

I'd gently wire brush it or use fine steel wool to knock down the rust, then clean with alcohol and paint with matching stove paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.