Ryobi Pinless Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The specs say it reads up to 1/2" in depth. On a pinless? strange indeed. I've noticed that some of the Ryobi handheld electronics seem a tad bit overpriced, and overdressed, when you look at the spec sheet. Sure do look cool tho.

That's the one we have. Just picked up the Harbor Freight cheapie but have not had time to compare the two. Should be able to do that this weekend to see how they compare.

stephiedoll said:
That's the one we have. Just picked up the Harbor Freight cheapie but have not had time to compare the two. Should be able to do that this weekend to see how they compare.

Please let us know what your thoughts are!

BK and I were just discussing these type of MM in another thread. MMs with pins use electrical resistance to get their readings. This type uses electromagnetic waves, IIRC.

Danno77 said:
BK and I were just discussing these type of MM in another thread. MMs with pins use electrical resistance to get their readings. This type uses electromagnetic waves, IIRC.

A link to that thread Danno? Yeah I'm x-tra lazy tonight... :red:

I'm extra lazy today. It was a brief mention more than a discussion. It's near the end of the Denniswood thread.

I just dug out a PDF from a very comprehensive Aussie study on several pro-quality meters. My take on the conclusions is that, even with the very best pinless meters out there, the expected accuracy is only about half of that attained with a good resistance meter. Furthermore, the pinless meters use species corrections based entirely on density, creating a higher degree of uncertainty due to variations in density among species grown in different locales, trees within the same local that grow more or less dense because of growing conditions, and even variations in density between upper and lower regions of the same tree. The species corrections used for resistance-type (pin) meters are not based on density at all, but on the amount and type of extractives found in that species. Basically, if you are sure of your species, the pin-type meter is at least twice as accurate, and will remain so for any density variations within that species.

Also, note the comment at the bottom about extrapolating species corrections on MC readings beyond 26% MC. That's why most correction tables only go to 24% or so. In general, the wetter the wood, the less confidence you should have in your reading, and that goes for both types of meters. The most amusing and frustrating thing about all of this for me has been seeing folks all excited about their new meter and then going out and cracking open a randomly selected piece of wood and finding out it is over 25% MC. Then the universal cry from the membership is, "Not ready. Wait at least another year"

Quite contrarily, I feel that because these meters are only truly as accurate as these studies show them to be, and because they use dry-basis calculations, any reading that can be trusted (24% or below) means the wood is totally ready to burn.

I think I'm going to invent a firewood-specific resistance-type meter. It will have built-in species correction and a simple "go/no-go" display. Scroll down to where it says (red oak), hit enter, jam the prongs into the wood and if it's ready it will say "BURN". That will happen at the point where the actual MC of the wood is at or below 25% dry-basis. For red oak, that will occur about 17 years after you first stacked the splits in an ideal location.

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
This project has generated new species corrections for a range of moisture meters for 10 of the most commercially important eucalypt species in Australia. When used on timber with a MC between 7 and 22%, the 95% confidence intervals, or expected levels of accuracy, of the corrected meter readings are generally between ±1.5% and ±3.0% for resistance type moisture meters and between ±3.0% and ±6.0% for dielectric or capacitance type moisture meters. The main reason for the poor confidence intervals, with the dielectric type meters is the effect of within species density variation on meter readings. For most species and most meters, with boards equalized under the same or similar conditions, the effect of density on meter readings is as great if not greater than that of OD MC%.
The corrections provided here for both types of meters are only for timber with a moisture content between 7 and 22% as that is the range used to generate the regression equations. The corrections can probably be reasonably safely extrapolated out to about 24-26%. However, the wide spread of data points shown in Appendix C (for the resistance type meters) with measurements taken on boards with MCs above 30%, clearly shows the danger and inaccuracy of extrapolating the corrections much beyond the 24-26% range.

In that PDF I posted on the other thread they noted (which you elude to above) that the variability within species can be as much as 10% when talking about density or specific gravity. So throw that variability number in with your other variabilities in measurement and you've got room for quite a bit of innacuracy.

Well, after comparing the Ryobi and Harbor Freight I can say that I should have listened to others here. I'm not a fan of HF but live and learn. As long as the pinless can rest on a smooth split with little air between them it will work find and gives the same readings as the HF. But a courser split with air gaps the Ryobi is worthless. split with 10% on the HF would show 00-01 with the Ryobi. Oh well, live and learn. At least I hope this helps others.

stephiedoll said:
Well, after comparing the Ryobi and Harbor Freight I can say that I should have listened to others here. I'm not a fan of HF but live and learn. As long as the pinless can rest on a smooth split with little air between them it will work find and gives the same readings as the HF. But a courser split with air gaps the Ryobi is worthless. split with 10% on the HF would show 00-01 with the Ryobi. Oh well, live and learn. At least I hope this helps others.

Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.