Sad that someone has to actually say this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent they always said that?
I have seen lots of silly warnings, for a long time, this isnt a new thing I dont think.

reading the article..

quote from it:

"The CPSC statement said that the carbon monoxide produced by just one generator is equal to that produced by hundreds of running cars."

what kind of cars are they talking about? electric ones?

good grief.
people who simply dont understand how things work, making laws for everyone else.

sstanis said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16475825/

They have to put warning labels on those packets that keep humidity out of electronics.

What do people think they were getting a snack with their camera?????

Yep reminds me of the time that I purchased a bag of cow manure and it said on the bottom of the bag: "not intended for human or animal consumption." made me wonder

Ok, the stats show the following.......

A clean car puts out from 1 to 4 grams of CO per mile.
So, if you are going 30 MPH, that means about 100 grams an hour.

A small 4-cycle engine=670 grams/horsepower-hour (under almost perfect conditions - can be worse in reality)
or 3000+ grams.

So, who doesn't know what they are talking about?

Small engines are extremely dirty and unless they have a catalytic converter or other such technology (changes CO to CO2), then they will be dirty - and therefore more dangerous.

NIOSH: NIOSH engineers modeled the time required for a gasoline-powered, 5-horsepower, 4-cycle engine to reach the 200-ppm (ceiling) and 1,200-ppm IDLH CO concentration for room sizes of 1,000 to 100,000 cubic feet and general ventilation rates of 1 to 20 air changes per hour [ACGIH 1992b]. The CO generation rate used in the model was 670 grams/horsepower-hour based on data from a 1991 EPA study [EPA 1991b]. Ideal mixing was assumed. Under actual conditions, if mixing were poor, hazardous concentrations could develop more quickly. In the small 1,000-cubic-foot room, the ceiling concentration of 200 ppm was reached in approximately 0.1 minute, and the IDLH was reached in less than 1 minute at all air flow rates. In the medium 10,000-cubic-foot room, the IDLH was reached in approximately 7 minutes for 1 air change per hour and approximately 10 minutes for 5 air changes per hour. These models demonstrate that for rooms up to 10,000 cubic feet, the NIOSH ceiling limit of 200 ppm was exceeded in less than 2 minutes--even with general ventilation rates as high as 20 air changes per hour. In no case would it be possible to operate an engine for 8 hours without exceeding the NIOSH REL of 35 ppm. (see Figures 2 through 4).
----------------------------------------------

Craig's right about small engines. No regulation of emissions means no need/incentive for manufacturer's to install emissions controls. The difference in emissions between a modern cat and non-cat stove (both regulated and therefore designed to meet requirements) may be fairly similar now, but compare regulated and unregulated wood stove emissions. I am not aware of a gas or diesel burning vehicle whose emissions are regulated that can meet requirements without a catalytic converter. This is why so many environmentalists gripe about motor boat, motorcycle, ATV and lawnmower emissions. Those are not quite as hazardous to your health, though, since they are really tough to use indoors.

And not all catalytic converters and emissions control systems are created equal. I own a 96 Honda Civic HX (~39 mpg real world) and an 02 Toyota Prius (~48mpg real world). The Prius has a really advanced emissions control system. While it is only about 20-25% more fuel efficient, it produces something like 90% fewer emissions.

From the manual for my Harbor Freight flashlight:

- Do not allow children to handle this product

- Wear ANSI approved safety glasses when using this product.

- Non-skid footwear or safety shoes should be used when working with this product.

- Wear protective hair covering.

- If wearing a long sleeve shirt, roll sleeves up to elbows.

- Do not use this product if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Damn, it gets harder to use a flashlight every day.

During the last extended power outage here, there were over 1.5 million homes without power. Sadly there were several deaths, chimney fires, etc. caused by people trying to stay warm off the grid for the first time since they have been in this country. Many deaths and CO poisonings were from burning charcoal briquettes indoors; common practice in Somalia, but albeit in a drafty hut with a central roof vent. Others lit off their fireplaces for the first time in years, only to find that they had forgotten how to use them or when it was last cleaned. The worst were Darwin candidates that figured they could run a generator in their garages, with the door connecting to the house open and the garage door closed! These storms have been rare, so most are unprepared and often are using a generator for the first time. But that is no excuse for a lack of common sense, especially when one's family lives are at stake.

Webmaster said:
A clean car puts out from 1 to 4 grams of CO per mile.
So, if you are going 30 MPH, that means about 100 grams an hour.

How much does a semi-clean car produce?
Say a mid-sized pick up with a V-6 circa late 90's vintage?

BrotherBart said:
From the manual for my Harbor Freight flashlight:

- Do not use this product if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Damn, it gets harder to use a flashlight every day.

If I wasnt sh!tfaced I wouldnt need the light to get home

babalu87 said:
They have to put warning labels on those packets that keep humidity out of electronics.

I've always wondered idly about just what eating that stuff would DO... Never been enough worried about it to try that hard to find out.

OTOH, I was critter-sitting the neighbor's cats a few years back, one of them needed to be given some kind of pill to keep it from spraying inside the house. It was a prescription medication, obtained from some mail order pharmacy.

Among other things, the bottle had a warning on it that the patient should not attempt to drive or operate heavy machinery while taking the medication.... :-S

Gooserider

I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Don't need no phone at all
We've got a thing that's called Radar Love
We've got a wave in the air, Radar Love
The radio is playing some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
The road has got me hypnotized
And I'm speedin' into a new sunrise
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sents her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a light in the sky
(Instrumental break)
No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go
And the line of cars drove down real slow
And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
And the newsman sang his same song
Oh one more radar lover gone
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sents her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a light in the sky

Attachments

• driving cat.jpg
    driving cat.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 295
Gooserider said:
babalu87 said:

I've always wondered idly about just what eating that stuff would DO... Never been enough worried about it to try that hard to find out.

OTOH, I was critter-sitting the neighbor's cats a few years back, one of them needed to be given some kind of pill to keep it from spraying inside the house. It was a prescription medication, obtained from some mail order pharmacy.

Among other things, the bottle had a warning on it that the patient should not attempt to drive or operate heavy machinery while taking the medication.... :-S

Gooserider

Because it is a dissecant, I can guarantee you one thing, CONSTIPATION. That stuff absorbs lots of moisture. A friend works for Alliant. They use the stuff in huge quantities, he claims permanent dry hands, despite the gloves.

babalu87 said:

I'm told back int he day they used to put those packs in potato chip bags to keep them from going stale. Hence the warning. Of course, if you're not smart enought to tell it's not a potato chip, I doubt the warning is helping anyone but the lawyer.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.