Safe flue temps? 0 clearance Duraliner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmwithjunk

Sep 19, 2022
PA
I have 8" Duraliner rigid installed in my brick chase with zero clearance. Pipe touches the brick and I assume combustibles touch the other side of the brick. I know that this is an approved setup but what are safe temps? I think it is rated for 1000F continuous and that would be with my setup, correct? I always get nervous when the probe 18" a one the stove starts hitting 800+.

I have 2 feet of DVL then 2 feet horizontal of single wall through two layers of cement block then about two feet above that until combustibles. Stove is in the basement and below ground level.

Last edited:
It's made to UL1777 standards. Continuous temps should not exceed 1000ºF. A temporary jump to 800 or 1000 during startup is ok. If the stove is running at 1000º continuously for the flue temp, then it is wasting fuel.

It's made to UL1777 standards. Continuous temps should not exceed 1000ºF. A temporary jump to 800 or 1000 during startup is ok. If the stove is running at 1000º continuously for the flue temp, then it is wasting fuel.
I've only had it in the red a few times on the Condar gauge but that's with it turned the whole way down. I don't like not having much control and it running near the absolute limit like this. I do have a key damper but that seems to make the cat run hot, at least at first. I wonder how hot the pipe in the chase gets when gauge is showing 800. The DVL is surprisingly cool, I'd guess less than a third of the inside temp.

Practice turning down the air sooner. That helps reduce the sudden bloom of flue gases. So does burning thicker splits.