Safe to use as a fire start with cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
Grabbed a box at the dump. Wondering if safe to use with a cat stove?

CACA917F-DA52-4A1D-A5CD-4BA06AEE0335.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
By opening the damper? Yes

I would think they would be fine since their smoke won't be passing through the cats.

I won't venture to guess safe or not. But for me its a lot easier and more space efficient for me to use super cedars. Just need 1/4 of a disc or even less for a top down start. There is a discount code somewhere on the site.

I'd venture to guess that some of the smoke is going to be going through the cat. How else would it preheat?Looking at their website it says their products are not for use in wood stoves, but your kids and pets won't be harmed if they eat it. Yet you shouldn't cook over their products. Probably a lot of risk reduction going on liability wise here.

Color inks can be a problem for cats, and I would wonder if they might add some color to their product??

A little bit of black and white newspaper and some wood scraps and kindling is so easy, I wouldn't bother with thinking about what it might or might not be doing to my cat. The hardest part these days is finding black and white newspaper pages! Those might make nice additions to the emergency boxes in my vehicles if they're small enough.

Reactions: stoveliker
Why take a chance? The box says it has a wax binder, I would use FATWOOD over these with a cat stove.

When you open the bypass for the cat, the cat is still being exposed to the smoke. It's just that there is another path for smoke in addition. Closing the bypass sends 100% of the smoke through the cat, open bypass maybe only 25% of the smoke goes through the cat so if this firestarter product is not known to be fully cat safe then I would say don't use it.

Reactions: stoveliker
Cat doing well, 1000 degrees.

2489B879-37E0-474D-8B0A-202106AAC448.jpeg