Safety Chain vs non Safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a MS250 and the next chain I bought was non-safety. It definately improved cutting performance to the point I was much happier with the saw. The first two cords I cut had me thinking I should have bought a a bigger saw. Once I switched to the non-safety chain it turned out to be just perfect. Not a 10hr/day moneymaker, but for a homeowner burning 2-3 cords a year I'm very satisfied with what it can do. A lighter, faster saw is definately nice.

I am however shocked at what my local Stihl dealer charged me to sharpen the chains. $14/chain is too much. At this rate I may as well buy new chains.

btuser said:
I've got a MS250 and the next chain I bought was non-safety. It definately improved cutting performance to the point I was much happier with the saw. The first two cords I cut had me thinking I should have bought a a bigger saw. Once I switched to the non-safety chain it turned out to be just perfect. Not a 10hr/day moneymaker, but for a homeowner burning 2-3 cords a year I'm very satisfied with what it can do. A lighter, faster saw is definately nice.

I am however shocked at what my local Stihl dealer charged me to sharpen the chains. $14/chain is too much. At this rate I may as well buy new chains.

Wow that is steep the Stihl guy I use charges 6.00 and the dolmar guy charges 6.80 , heck I think a new chain is about 22.00

Status
Not open for further replies.