Salvaging Attack boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scelder

Jun 19, 2014
Indiana
A friend's house recently had a bad fire (electrical, not related to boiler). His father had installed an older Attack boiler system in basement, which was used infrequently in last 5 years. We were able to successfully remove the boiler from the basement. I plugged it in and the control panel came back on normally.

There was no fire damage directly to boiler. There was likely some water dripping down through the floor, and wet ash/debris on top of and in vicinity of the boiler.

What appears to be just an exterior housing (thin metal layer on outside?) was also slightly damaged in the move, and there is older rust around the bottom.

What should we look into further to determine if the boiler is still salvageable / capable of functioning properly, both due to the fire issues and the age?

I have the option of moving the boiler to my property and integrating it into my radiator system as a supplement. Would this be worth the effort with an older Attack?

Thank you in advance.

For that matter, is there anything that would tend to *wear out* or break over time on a neglected Attack that I should be aware of?

For that matter, is there anything that would tend to *wear out* or break over time on a neglected Attack that I should be aware of?
Ceramic nozzle, ceramic u-shaped pieces in the lower chamber and an inducer fan motor are all parts I would like to have as spares for long term use. If a lambda model (probably not since it sounds older) I would also have a spare of the air intake stepper motor. (there are two)

As far as if it's worth putting into service, that will depend on what it needs and if you can actually get parts right now. I believe these are made in Slovakia and seem to be built like a tank.

In the upper firebox check the condition of the top edges of the rectangular opening in the cast ceramic floor- this is the nozzle. If there is a lot of etching and wear it will need a new nozzle at some point depending on wear. I take regular firebrick and cut/position them to match the rectangular opening and place directly over the factory opening- these take the wear and help extend the life of the factory nozzle. The low cost firebrick may need to be replaced once or twice a season but at a couple bucks a brick they are cheap wear parts.

Last edited: