Sanity Check - Pellet Insert in NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tizodm80

Dec 11, 2018
Keene Area, NH
Hey guys,

1st time poster, long time reader. I've used and installed several pellet stoves in my day, but have a new home now and want to go BIG this time and also have it professionally installed as it is an insert.

I've done a TON of research and have decided (I think) on the Harman 52i TC Insert in standard Black (Dig the Brown, but $600?)

That's the 1st sanity check that I would like, on the stove itself? Alternatives I should investigate further, or stay-away stories?

Background - Stove will be installed in a very open floor plan on my "main" floor It will be centrally located right in the middle of this space, in our "Formal Living Room" pointed at our "Family Room" and behind it the kitchen/dining rooms. This floor is around 2000sq ft. I have a playroom and office below this on the lower level, around 1000sq ft, and upstairs is the bedrooms etc and around 1500sq ft, so all in, around 4500sq ft.

I have no hopes for a temp increase in the lower level, but would hope that the upstairs would get some, if not a lot, of benefit.

I currently have a 30yr Peerless Oil Boiler with 6 zones and I keep the heat at a varying (depending on time) 57-62deg. Yes, 62deg is my MAX right now cause that thing SUCKs oil down. I am having a Buderus Logano installed in a few weeks to help there. That should certainly assist with oil consumption to a degree. I do not however want to go willy-nilly and jack the heat to 70 off of oil.

Sorry long winded.

I went to the stove shop today and got a quote for a 52i installed and it came to $5,323 all in. This includes the Stove, 35ft liner, and all installation.

That is my 2nd sanity check. Good / Reasonable price for this?

This is more than my previous two pellet stoves (US Stoves) that are still chugging strong combined, so I really would like some opinions / reassurances if you guys have time.

Thanks very much!

Todd

Last edited:
I don’t have a set up anything like you, but your first statement say you want to go big. Fireplace inserts are generally smaller then freestanding units. The Harman P-68 is their biggest stove and is a little cheaper then the 62-I. If you can do freestanding, that would be my thought for that huge space. Or maybe a similar set up as you now have with two stoves, though why replace the ones you have now? I do love my Harman and it easily heats my 2000sq foot colonial. There is a lot of knowledge here on this forum (which I’m sure you know as a long time reader) so the pros should be along any time!

Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. Those other stoves I mentioned were in my previous home. In this new one a freestanding model isn't an option. The 52i insert seems (to me) the best of them that I've read through. I was looking for opinions / advise on the model and quote I received. I was hoping to make the deposit tomorrow to get in line for an install. Jan 11th was the first day they had.

Reactions: jackhammer
Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. Those other stoves I mentioned were in my previous home. In this new one a freestanding model isn't an option. The 52i insert seems (to me) the best of them that I've read through. I was looking for opinions / advise on the model and quote I received. I was hoping to make the deposit tomorrow to get in line for an install. Jan 11th was the first day they had.
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT let them install the stove without an Outside Air Kit. It is very easy for them to run the extra pipe up and your cost should be minimal. It sounds like you have an older house and this will eliminate drafts and increase efficiency along with temperature. Sounds like a very fair price as well.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT let them install the stove without an Outside Air Kit

The OAK is very interesting to me. Of the two I've installed I've always done an OAK. I however was advised today not to bother and that they actually notice a decline in efficiency with it. This did seem somewhat counterintuitive. I asked specifically about drafts without the OAK and was told I shouldn't have any issues. My home was built in 1990 and has a few drafty casement windows specifically in the same room that the stove would be in. I'm certainly not opposed to it.

I however was advised today not to bother and that they actually notice a decline in efficiency with it. This did seem somewhat counterintuitive. I asked specifically about drafts without the OAK and was told I shouldn't have any issues
That would certainly throw up some red flags. Not only counterintuitive, but counter-best practices. What is the breakdown stove cost/installation cost? They might be taking the lazy way out. Why not install it yourself?

Think about it-- without an OAK, there WILL be cold outside air sucked into the house from SOMEWHERE (probably many small points), rushing across the room toward the stove. And a big stove will pull in a lot of air.

I don't disagree. It was one guy that seemed to be having a bad day. This is an extremely reputable shop, so perhaps he was just being grouchy. Regardless I will request an OAK, thank you for calling that out!