Santa Fe Insert - Convert back to a wood burning fireplace thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

margstorm

Nov 7, 2022
Milwaukie, OR
Hello all! This is my first post and I am looking for guidance.

My husband and I bought our first home at the beginning of 2022. We were initially excited that there was pellet stove insert in the home, however, now we are not so in love with this option. We are considering moving back to just a wood burning fireplace in order to be able to heat the house and cook should the power go out.

I'm looking for advice on the steps I need to take to remove the Santa Fe Pellet Stove Insert (2014) and get the fireplace back in order. We are up to doing as much as possible ourselves as well.

It will take eyes on-site to see what this would take. Often a pellet stove is put in because the chimney is compromised.

FWIW, fireplaces are notoriously inefficient. They can rob as much heat out of the room as they put in and continue to do so long after the fire has died out. Would a freestanding stove on the hearth or a wood-burning insert be an option?

After the pellet burner is removed, you'll need to have somebody take a look at the old fireplace to see what's there and what can safely be done.

I didn't have any luck getting any dealership to come and look at my house prior to making a deposit on a stove. I had to pull my pellet stove out of the hole and do my measurements myself.. call a reputable chimney sweep and see what he or she can tell you about the fireplace and chimney? Good luck. You might be really happy with a wood burning insert instead of a fireplace!