saving splits for wood projects?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Well I cut down what appears to be curly maple, it would be a shame to let it all burn. I would like to get a mini mill setup someday but thats a few years away. Can I just carefully split some of the bigger round into rectangular pieces small enough to get on a bandsaw or something? Do I need to pain the ends and let it sit for a certain amount of time? Sorry dont know much about the finer details, just hoping to save some 'craft' size pieces, tomake picture frames or other small odds n ends. Most of the rounds are already cut 18-20". And they have already been sitting a couple months so I need to get em split in stacked or saved aside soon.

Yes -

That's what I do. I split out rectangular blanks or simply leave in in half or quartered. Paint the ends with something to seal them (controls checking). And put them away to dry slowly.

My folks just discovered some very curly black walnut crotch that I sealed the ends and then stashed in a large paper bag that i filled with sawdust to slow the drying. They teased me that it was fortunate that the cat had not taken an interest in the bag ; o The sawdust reduces air flow further retarding drying speed.

I then re-saw the dried wood to project dimensions. I've done Ash, Cherry, Walnut, and Linden this way for years.

Been doing that myself for over 25 yrs.Nice to get smaller-medium sized certain special pieces for future projects.When I see something,if I cant work it up right away,it gets cut down to a more manageable size,end grain sealed for later use.I got random odds & ends in my stash that are right at 30 yrs old.Like to have at least 1 fairly smooth cut end,mark the month/yr with a Sharpie before sealing them up.Depending on size/thickness,they are put away for 2-4 yrs minimum.

Whats readily available to use to seal the ends? Just regular paint or is it a specific product?

OhioBurner© said:
Whats readily available to use to seal the ends? Just regular paint or is it a specific product?

When I first started I used cheap white latex paint,about 15yrs ago switched to a commercial sealer.Its a water-based wax emulsion product that dries almost clear in an hour or two & lets wood 'breathe' yet slows down moisture loss & subsequent checking/cracking.Anchorseal is one brand,Craft Supplies in Utah (Woodturning equipment & related stuff) used to sell the same stuff,but with their own label on it.Much better than buying & melting paraffin wax IMO.This stuff can be applied with a cheap brush,spray or a rag.Expect to pay around $20/gallon,it lasts quite a while,especially if end grain was cut smooth.Rough wood uses more sealer.

Here are three splits that did not make it into the stove. These are just too nice. They will probably end up as a box someday. Anyone want to venture a guess on the wood species as I don't recognize it. The grain is wavy, the bark is fiberous underneath. White oak maybe?

Attachments

• DSC08928.jpg
    DSC08928.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 261
Resawed 3/8" -1/2" thick,highly polished for jewelry boxes,maybe even a humidor :coolgrin:

Thistle, any idea on the species? It will see the band saw sometime in the fall. So many possibilities.

fishingpol said:
Thistle, any idea on the species? It will see the band saw sometime in the fall. So many possibilities.

Color looks like White Oak,if I could zoom in the pores would tell me more.

Ok I got me a gallon of anchorseal... can I seal the ends with the bark still on or do I need to split it into chunks, or just debark it? I have about a dozen rounds, for all the small they are I'm limited in what I can use them for, a few should do for all the small projects I'd ever do, but I may do most of the big ones just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.