Saw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
I have two saws that I use, an 18-inch Poulan and a 14-inch Homelite [please don't mock me - at least openly ;-) ]

The Poulan requires a 40:1 gas/oil mix, and the Homelite requires a 30:1 gas/oil mix. It's a pain in the ass because I need to keep two separate gas jugs.

The Poulan is newer, bigger and is currently my go-to saw. The Homelite is pretty hurting, but is still useful for limbing and other second-rate work.

Here's my question: Can I cut corners and just use 40:1 in both saws, or will that completely destroy the Homelite? Seems like it probably wouldn't make much of a difference at this point. I wouldn't even contemplate it if the Homelite was new, but I'm hoping any negative effects will be negligible on a 12-year-old saw.

I would do that. I think the worst thing that could happen is that you would fowl the plug. I know guys who run more oil just to be safe.

You can likely go to 50:1 with all, if the oil is formulated for 50:1. Most mfgs have changed their fuel:eek:il ratios over time as the oils have gotten better. It's that simple, and it's worked just fine for me.
Extra oil reduces octane, deposits crap in chamber, port, muffler and makes more carcinogens. Still want extra oil?

CTYank said:
You can likely go to 50:1 with all, if the oil is formulated for 50:1. Most mfgs have changed their fuel:eek:il ratios over time as the oils have gotten better. It's that simple, and it's worked just fine for me.
Extra oil reduces octane, deposits crap in chamber, port, muffler and makes more carcinogens. Still want extra oil?
+1
It's more about the modern formulations. 30 - 40 years ago, 40:1 was almost unheard of but I've been running 40:1 in my old saw for decades.

you can run 40:1 in both. You could probably run 30:1 in both without it ever being a problem, too. I'd probably do 40:1 if I was in your shoes.

Don't mix 2 cans anymore. Pick somewhere easy to measure between 40 and 50 to 1 and run it. Happy cutting.

Got some advice today from a machinist, on a somewhat related subject. He has had to replace two carbs so far due to the use of gas w/ethanol blend. I had just mixed a fresh gallon with stihl oil, hope the chevy prizm does not wake up the neighbors in the morning.

Sweet. 40:1 it is, then. Thanks for all the info, guys.

Does not really matter unless your milling save your money run 50:1.

Jack Straw said:
I would do that. I think the worst thing that could happen is that you would fowl the plug. I know guys who run more oil just to be safe.

40:1 has LESs oil, 30:1 has more.

It's easy to screw that up, so just pointing this out.

Adabiviak said:
I have a 14" Craftsman saw that I've been using for about twelve years (only one I've ever owned) - I've got your back.

:)

Adios Pantalones said:
Jack Straw said:

40:1 has LESs oil, 30:1 has more.

It's easy to screw that up, so just pointing this out.[/quote

LOL Ya I was hoping that would get passed by :lol:

and a 14-inch Homelite [please don’t mock me - at least openly
There was a day when Homies were a well respected saw. Be proud my man!

Stegman said:
I have two saws that I use, an 18-inch Poulan and a 14-inch Homelite [please don't mock me - at least openly ;-) ]

The Poulan requires a 40:1 gas/oil mix, and the Homelite requires a 30:1 gas/oil mix. It's a pain in the ass because I need to keep two separate gas jugs.

The Poulan is newer, bigger and is currently my go-to saw. The Homelite is pretty hurting, but is still useful for limbing and other second-rate work.

Here's my question: Can I cut corners and just use 40:1 in both saws, or will that completely destroy the Homelite? Seems like it probably wouldn't make much of a difference at this point. I wouldn't even contemplate it if the Homelite was new, but I'm hoping any negative effects will be negligible on a 12-year-old saw.

Yes

Stegman said:
I have two saws that I use, an 18-inch Poulan and a 14-inch Homelite [please don't mock me - at least openly ;-)

Hey, Those were the only saws I had for over a decade, dang near 2. Still have my Poulan (late 90's model), gave the Homelite (late 80's model) to my dad when his Homelite XL finaly died and I was able to afford Stihls. The Poulan runs great even though it has been demoted to grunge work.

For the past 5 years the Poulan had been drinking the same 50:1 mix as the Stihls with no adverse effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.