Saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
Hi, I am new to woood burning for heat and am looking to get another "useful" saw as I am running a homelite 150 (1977???) and it is hell to cut anything over 10", even with a sharp chain! I guess its good for limbing--14"bar. I have accsess to very large wood--2-4' diameter elm,ash, maple some oak. I also have accsess to smaller wood, exept the big stuff can get delivered to my home by the 30 yd dumpster. I am wondering if a 455 rancher could handle very small to very large wood without having to screw around all day. The Sthil stuff to me just seems way overpriced in not only the saw but the parts and accesories and the cool name you pay for. Husky seems to have the best power-price ratio. JUST TO MAKE THING CLEAR THERE ARE NO!! DOLMAR DEALERS ANYWHERE BY ME. 400 is A LOT to spend on a saw, and I don't want to say "man! I wish I would have spent an extra $100 two years down the road."

All of this is just my opinion..... But if you even think that you will spend $400 and a year down the road wish you had spent more that is exactly what will likely happen. For the size of wood you are describing, I don't think the 455 is going to cut it. Two to four foot trees on a consistent are 70 cc territory easy.

If you like Husky (and it sounds like you do), the 372XP would be ideal for a one saw plan. Maybe you can find a deal on a used one or 371XP. I have a 371XP that I got a deal on used w/ muffler mod and it rips.

Another option would the the Makita 6401 for $469 brand new from Baileys, or your local Home depot might have a 6401 used for around $200 which is upgradeable with BB kit from Baileys.

ms 390 comes in to mind not sure what they cost but a strong 65 cc saw should be around 500.00

Two ft to four ft. diameter is quite a range. Are we talking about a new saw that will run a 28" bar with authority and last your lifetime. $400 will not get it done.
No Dolmar/Makita or Stihl. Husky 372XP about $700 new for the powerhead, $800 after you get a bar and chain on it.
Is four ft. diameter the rare extreme? Is the vast majority of the wood 3.0 ft diameter or less? Then we could get down to 60cc-65cc and a 20" bar for 95% of it, and a 24" bar for the occasional log. Now we are talking

How about a husqvarna 365 special, this is a discontinued model but they are still out there between $500 to $600, Lots of grunt, great review, get on the net and read about it. I've heard there is some dealer in NY selling them fro $499.99, but I could not find him but I didn't look to hard.
Me I'd by the Dolmar/Makita 6401 with a 20" and 24" bar if $500 was the limit , or the 7901 with a 28" bar if it wasn't

http://www.norwalkpower.net/store/p...kW-15-28-38-70-cm-13-lbs-6-kg-6756p650506.htm

good luck, and nothing wrong with that Stihl ms-390 either

The range of wood you're looking at is too broad for one saw, unless the big stuff you mention (4') is very rare. If so, look at the Stihl MS390 or Husky 460. I think you'll find that there's not a huge price difference between similar Stihl/Husky saws, and very few people will say Stihl's not worth it.

By the bye, you might throw a line out looking at pricing on Stihl's MS361--since it's disco, you might swing a deal and it's a sweet, and very flexible, saw.

S

I would go used...Find a deal on a 046 mag and never look back...They can be got in good shape for $400...Want to save a little more find a nice 038 mag II..What do they sell for on the bay $250ish???

Spend the rest on ppe.....

Good luck..........

The stuff that comes in rarely gets to 4' but it does. I'll just have to be careful and make sure it doesn't get loaded if it gets that big. But I think everyone is right that the 65 cc range would be the most versatile along with my puny homelite.

southbound said:
I would go used...Find a deal on a 046 mag and never look back...They can be got in good shape for $400...Want to save a little more find a nice 038 mag II..What do they sell for on the bay $250ish???

Spend the rest on ppe.....

Good luck..........

Ok southbound where you finding a 460 in good shape for 400.00

I just talked to the warden (wife) after I got back from the outdoor eqpt store and it looks like she'll let me get a Husky 359 20" and a couple chains for $550. I'll know for sure on Sat. They told me that the saw can occasionally handle a 24" bar if needed.

That is a major upgrade from your current saw. I've used one for that last 5 years and I got no complaints. A little light for a load of 36" plus diameter logs but she will cut them. This is an older style saw that was changed to a Etech saw which means it now has a very restrictive catalytic muffler and the carb detuned running lean to get it to pass EPA standards.
The good news is that this saw will response to some minor modifications and run much stronger with that proposed 24" bar buried. First off do nothing while the saw is under warranty, I believe one year, except buy one of these before they stop selling them
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVP+504+70+64+01&catID=388
you should not modify the existing muffler because there is some pretty toxic stuff inside.

but do not install it as the carb will need to be adjusted richer immediately or you will burn it up.
Do an internet search on modifying a husqvarna 359 and tons of information will come up, visit
http://www.arboristsite.com/ for more information on this saw.

I have a stihl but the next saw I am looking at for larger stuff is a Makita 6401 lots af power and home depots sell off the used ones for a decent price.
I have a big Husky dealer just down the street from me and I have talked to him a number of times ,nice fellow. The thing that bothers me is the LARGE number of factory refurb units he has available ALL the time , this sure makes it appear there are a ton of warranty failures going on. He says only the big independant dealers handle these units so thats why but holy crap he has 50-100 sitting on the shelf ! on the other hand I do know several guys with them and they just love the saws so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.