Sawmills anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I must be missing something. How can a Logosol CSM cut faster than an AK mill? Both are using a chainsaw power head and pulling ripping chains through the log, far as I can tell. For the same width of cut on the same species of wood they should cut at exactly the same speed. You can only push it so fast before the saw bogs down, and that won’t change based on the rig guiding the saw.

Does the Logosol system provide a much narrower kerf chain, like 1/4” or 3/16”, vs a 3/8” a typical chainsaw uses? Are you using the chainsaw power head to drive a band saw blade? Those are about the only ways I can see a Logosol getting even close to bandsaw mill cutting speeds, never mind faster. If one of those things are what it does then please tell me more. That might be a great next step for me.
The speed increase comes from having the saw at a normal working height rather than pushing an AK mill through a log on the ground. I can make a slab cut through a 18" log in a few minutes same as a bandmill. I keep my chains sharp and I run a 395xp. I could see a slab cut take 5-10 minutes in a 30" Oak log, but even then that's pretty reasonable for a low cost. I'm running Carlton "low profile" chain right now, but it's more like 5/16ths rather than the 1/4 kerf when using the Stihl 63PMX low profile chain. Once my chains wear in a little more I'll be at 1/4" kerf. I think a lot of the slow CSM cuts are because of poor sharpening technique. I see folks swearing by using a Pferd 2-N-1 and claim that's the best thing. My board from the logosol are a quick sanding away from being finish grade lumber. Bandmill blades tend to wander a lot more and most folks can't sharpen them and are forced to use "factory sharp" blades which are rather poor.

Operator skill is the main determination of speed, not mill type.

I dream of a bandsaw mill one day myself. I enjoy woodworking even more than burning.
It probably goes without saying, but dont waste your time using a chainsaw setup to make 1/8" boards. You'll make way more sawdust than boards.
Depending on the board size yuo want, you could even consider a big vertical bandsaw with a milling setup. Obviously you're not gonna want to lug a 24" trunk up to that, but it may be an option for small logs and sawing really thin boards.