Scared about getting pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the first post, he said it was to be vented under the deck! :)

Reactions: stoveliker
I recommend, before cutting any holes, talk to people that do this for a living, use inspectipedia on the web,etc. You most certainly can vent a pellet stove under that wide open porch, just the same as you could a direct vent gas heater. The only issue would be "ground" protection, as the deck is wood, you would need a bit of non flammable base put down, unless your vent is high enough. Look in any Harman manual online, they have real good diagrams about such. Soot is almost never a problem, unless the stove is not functioning properly, as happens with cheaper stoves, OR, a possibility in your case, if that porch faces in the direction of the prevailing wind, in heating season. That would be the only reason I would not vent there, because if the wind blows straight into that porch, you will even get smells in house every time door is opened.
My big question, why build a nice log cabin/house, then go with a bottom of the line farm store pellet stove?
Anyway, do more research!
Thank you for the suggestions. We are just looking at supplemental heat. The room is huge and we are having a tough time heating it. Do you recommend another option or brand of pellet stove?

Here is where we would like to vent (about 20" out of house). The arrows show where the prevailing winds come from.

20220923_183236.jpg

Reactions: Mt Bob
As I you can vent there, and if soot generally is not a problem (for a properly installed and maintained stove), methinks you can go with your original plan?

Reactions: Mt Bob
I agree with stoveliker. Just be sure of your clearances. you may not even need something on the wood deck, but your insurance may want something, they can be stupid sometimes. Will leave a link to a Harman manual,look at the diagrams for clearances and such, especially 4.2. As far as stoves, I am particular as they are my main heat, and I live in the mountains, so I prefer quality, less maintainence, easier to clean. But for supplemental, cheaper units seem to be fine, for lots of people, for many years.

Do not vent under the roof and don't go out through the wall that high up it will be a pain to maintain. I would just go straight up and out with it.

Reactions: johneh