Scary Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
104.JPG
This was the first year I can honesty say that I burned good dry wood ( 3+years old) thanks to following so much good advice from this forum.
As we know, last winter was so mild most of us burned less than normal. I burned 2 + cords rather than 3 + in average years. The change for me was, replacing both cats in my stove, a total cleaning of everything and the dry wood.
So, we come to the time to clean the stove and chimney for this season. The area around the cats had almost no ash and the cats themselves just needed a blow to get the dust out.
Now we cleaned the chimney, brushes up and down several times produced 3 cups of flaky creosote. Pics show what came down.
102.JPG
From the insert the pipe is reduced from 8 to 6 inch, runs 2 feet vertical into a 13 x 7 lined chimney for another 8 feet to the roof.
In the past the inside of the liner had a shiny glaze ( # 2 creosote ) this year it is a lot more sooty looking, so I think Iam making progress.

Comments and advice are welcome.

bob

Attachments

• 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: billb3
PS, the picture of the deck was taken by aliens.

sent from my toilet over the gas waves.

bob

Considering that you are transitioning to very larger flue sizes ( hence the gasses slow down and condense on the walls) you look to be doing pretty good. Question what is the13x7 lined with?

English Bob's Spouse later that day: Bob? Do you by any chance know why our biscuits taste as if they've been smoked? It doesn't have anything to do with you borrowing the measuring cup earlier today does it?

:)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Considering that you are transitioning to every larger flue sizes ( hence the gasses slow down and condense on the walls) you look to be doing pretty good. Question what is the13x7 lined with?

No liner,

bob

Well then. drop a liner down that craw. 5.5 or 6" plain liner and block off plates at either end at minimum - cause what you have at present is considered a slammer install. with the block off at the bottom after putting in the pipe you can get proper pourable insulation for around the pipe to fill void. Lot less worry about nasty black stuff as flue will stay warmer and the gas flow faster less chance for that kind of build up when you least expect it. Plus the stove should burn better and be easier to light.
I have about 10 ft 6" insulated + the 5 or so feet of double wall inside maybe get a cup of stuff out of the flue after 4 -5 cords worth for the whole season, Kinda a dark gray to a bit of black mixed in from right at the top
I get about double that from the 20 some odd ft flue which is a single wall liner in a masonry chimney with poured insulation around it- that is connected to a 1300 hotblast furnace- not what you would call efficient. This in the basement.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Well then. drop a liner down that craw. 5.5 or 6" plain liner and block off plates at either end at minimum - cause what you have at present is considered a slammer install. with the block off at the bottom after putting in the pipe you can get proper pourable insulation for around the pipe to fill void. Lot less worry about nasty black stuff as flue will stay warmer and the gas flow faster less chance for that kind of build up when you least expect it. Plus the stove should burn better and be easier to light.
I have about 10 ft 6" insulated + the 5 or so feet of double wall inside maybe get a cup of stuff out of the flue after 4 -5 cords worth for the whole season, Kinda a dark gray to a bit of black mixed in from right at the top
I get about double that from the 20 some odd ft flue which is a single wall liner in a masonry chimney with poured insulation around it- that is connected to a 1300 hotblast furnace- not what you would call efficient. This in the basement.

Thanks.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.