Schrader fireplace info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Davester1969

Oct 22, 2023
Lancaster ohio
I was given a Schrader fireplace wood stove that I plan on using in my garage so it will only be used occasionally. Any info is appreciated. I noticed mine does not have the round knobs on the 2 doors but instead has one metal lever on the left door I’m assuming to adjust airflow. Also there’s a small plate on the very lower left side right at the floor line that has holes in it im assuming to let air in and also does this unit sit flat on the concrete floor?the bottom of the stove has a large hole in it so I don’t know if that’s to draw air into or not. Thank you

IMG_0637.jpeg IMG_0638.jpeg IMG_0640.jpeg IMG_0642.jpeg IMG_0641.jpeg

Wow I have never seen a Schrader like that. It's odd that there are no legs. I wonder if they were cut off. Some pics of inside may help.

By the way you should be aware that solid fuel appliances are not allowed in garages in the US by code

Reactions: Davester1969
I'm wondering if it was designed as a hearth heater for installation in a fireplace but with enough projection out onto the hearth for significant radiant heat. When that beast is loaded and cranking it must put out a significant amount of heat.

Wow I have never seen a Schrader like that. It's odd that there are no legs. I wonder if they were cut off. Some pics of inside may help.

By the way you should be aware that solid fuel appliances are not allowed in garages in the US by code
The bottom is flat except for a large 6” hole in it. There’s a small plate on the left lower side with holes to let air in through and instead of a knob on each door for adjusting air flow the left door has a small handle that when turned it adjusts how far a metal door inside the stove ooens for the air flow.I can’t find a picture of one like this anywhere on the internet

IMG_0651.jpeg IMG_0649.jpeg IMG_0648.jpeg IMG_0647.jpeg IMG_0650.jpeg IMG_0646.jpeg

I'm wondering if it was designed as a hearth heater for installation in a fireplace but with enough projection out onto the hearth for significant radiant heat. When that beast is loaded and cranking it must put out a significant amount of heat.
It has a 6” hole on the bottom of it but doesn’t look like it ever had legs of any kind. There is a plate on the lower left side with holes in it to let air in and it doesn’t have the damper knobs on the doors but has a handle that turns on the left door that pushes on a small plate that opens and closes a larger plate to let air in instead of the 2 knobs.

IMG_0654.jpeg IMG_0651.jpeg IMG_0649.jpeg IMG_0650.jpeg IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_0660.jpeg

It would be good to determine the purpose of the bottom hole. Air intake designed to go over an ash hole in the fireplace?

It would be good to determine the purpose of the bottom hole. Air intake designed to go over an ash hole in the fireplace?
Seems to be nearly impossible to find any info on these wood stoves but I plan to put the stove up on bricks so the bottom isn’t right on the concrete garage floor so I can make a catch pan for ashes if needed.

Note the above-mentioned caveat about this being against fire code as far as insurance is concerned.

It’s a detached metal pole barn building/garage so it’ll be fine,we live out in the country and I don’t really care about that code if it even applies where we live.
It does apply if you live in the usa. The problem will come up if you ever have to make an insurance claim. It would most likely be denied. But if you are willing to take that risk it's on you many people decide its worth the risk to them