Score a new wood stove! Woo Hoooo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Well, I never would have thought when I woke up I would have a new wood stove by the end of the day, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. After chatting with Corie this morning about the Englander 13NSomething-or-other, the stove we were looking to upgrade to anyway, I found an ad in the paper:

Englander wood stove with blower. 1,500 square feet, 60,000Btu's non-cat. Used one season. $500.

Great! Sounds like the 13NC I wanted, right? So, I make the drive out to look at it and behold, it's a 30NCP. Much bigger non-cat stove (and heavy) which will put out way more heat and is definitely worth the 5 beans. It was all there, and in good condition. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon...

Good deal man! I'm sitting here in my living room watching the flames roll in my 13 as we speak. I think you'll be very happy with the change. Let me know when you get it in and if you need any advice or have any problems!

Great buy!!! Just be careful of your back. Bend your legs keep your back straight. and get it on caster wheels, U-Haul rents 4 wheelers by the day. Take three strong friends to make it easy. Good Luck,

lift the door up and remove it during moving to protect the glass, also if you make a chart of the bricks , or look in the manual , or downlaod if you do not have one with the unit <link > https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11536/ remove the bricks as well, lightens the stove by close to 85 lbs. much easier to lug around

Mercy sakes. We got ourselves a convoy.

BrotherBart, what do you think of the stove?

Ya, to get it off the truck and in the door I took it all apart - firebrick, door, ash drawer - everything off. It slid off my tailgate onto the front porch pretty easily, and then slid on a piece of cardboard into the house.

Easy Peasy

Love the big hot sucker. Getting ready to go feed it for the mid twenties night.

Yeah, while the 30NC was nearly impossible to move by myself (I did it anyway), the 13NC is almost a pleasure to move with the bricks and door off. I could literally pick it up and carry it where it needed to be. Which was nice, considering I almost buckled my cronions moving the 30.

Get that puppy hooked up and lets see some pictures of it firing!!

BB, I've got the 13 cranking here too. I screwed up my normal evening loading pattern and I know there is no way I'm going to get an overnight burn from my current load. Oh well, looks like I better drink one more beer, to ensure I'll be getting up during the night.

Hehe I was wrong! Woke up at 6:30 this AM and still had coals left even with only two good splits in there, instead of my usual four. Firebricks are bright white and nothing but powdery white ash and coals is left; I love this little stove.

You guys must sell a TON of those things... yesterday I counted more than FIFTY 13's and 30's stacked on the shelves of the local Home Depot... and this is a town of only 80,00 people.

precaud said:
You guys must sell a TON of those things... yesterday I counted more than FIFTY 13's and 30's stacked on the shelves of the local Home Depot... and this is a town of only 80,00 people.

A ton is only four 30s.

precaud said:
BrotherBart said:
A ton is only four 30s.
Hmmm... ok, a bazillion, then :)

From something I read, not here, it looks like they turned out 35,000 stoves last year. Of course their big sellers are pellet stoves. When I was down in Monroe last year I could not believe the number of welded up stove bodies in that place just awaiting the finishing touches. And they just finished a new warehouse building this year. Seems like they weld and stack all spring and summer and ship all late summer and fall. I couldn't to go into the forming area, guess I look like an industrial spy, but the place was not building stoves when I was there. It has to be a sight to see when they are running full tilt.

It is. Imagine a four lane freeway, except instead of cars, its forklifts with finished stoves, unfinished hulls and parts all moving top speed. I tend to stay down here in the development lab, where I am less likely to be run down by an overzealous fork truck operator.

So is Englander going for the number 1 spot in stove sales?

MichaelS said:
BeGreen said:

Thats a good question. I wonder who holds that spot?

My money would be on Jotul worldwide. They did something like US $115 million in sales last year.

Of course PE may have them all beat total revenue wise from the sale of gaskets.

BrotherBart said:
MichaelS said:
BeGreen said:

Thats a good question. I wonder who holds that spot?

My money would be on Jotul worldwide. They did something like US $115 million in sales last year.

Of course PE may have them all beat total revenue wise from the sale of gaskets.

LOL, BB is gonna be in trouble when the fanboys arrive.

BrotherBart said:
I heard that the replacement 2ndary baffles made quite a contribution too.

precaud said:
BrotherBart said:

Replacement? They told me it was "designed" to bow in the middle after the first fire.

Corie said:
precaud said:
BrotherBart said:

Replacement? They told me it was "designed" to bow in the middle after the first fire.

It's a "feature".

Corie said:

Oh man, how'd you like to be the PE sales rep at a trade show and have to keep a straight face while explaining that one!!

Corie said:
precaud said:
BrotherBart said:

corie... the englander 30
did you guys give that a low rating? how does that do 2200 sq ft with a 3.5 box??? many other stoves have smaller boxes and claim to heat more than that..
can you explain to me how you/ other companies come up with that?
i would think that 30 would do 3500 sq ft

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:
precaud said:
BrotherBart said:

It's a "feature".

You guys are funny :lol:

Once you figure out how to keep them fibre boards together on the 30's then we will talk...until then, KISS MY ASH DUMP :p

Attachments

• mybaffle85%.jpg
    mybaffle85%.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 311
Gunner said:
BrotherBart said:
Corie said:
precaud said:
BrotherBart said:

It's a "feature".

You guys are funny :lol:

Once you figure out how to keep them fibre boards together on the 30's then we will talk...until then, KISS MY ASH DUMP :p

yeah me too

Attachments

• flue pics 019.jpg
    flue pics 019.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.