Score of the Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Found a lady nearby who had 7 ash trees felled and bucked over the summer. She has all she needs and said I could have the rest. Won’t need all of it but I took a truckload tonight and will get a couple more. I was with my 6 year old and only had about 30 minutes so I took what I could.

My wood stove is small and takes a 16-18 inch split and these are probably all 21 or so but I can burn them upstairs.

I would guess that there is probably 10 truckloads still there and she is having 7 more trees taken out next year!

be2983e617de35423f939d5231178010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love ash.... Matter fact I get most of my wood delivered, and found a guy would was happy to supply me ash instead of the normal oak. Cost me a little less and he cuts it to my specifications as well.

Won’t need all of it but I took a truckload tonight and will get a couple more...probably 10 truckloads still there and she is having 7 more trees taken out next year!
What kind of talk is that? We always need more wood...eventually! ;) If your storage space is limited, you gotta draw a line, of course. You can go back next year, though...great score! >>
I love ash.... Matter fact I get most of my wood delivered, and found a guy would was happy to supply me ash instead of the normal oak. Cost me a little less and he cuts it to my specifications as well.
Most people don't know much about firewood but have heard that Oak is good, so they demand it. White Ash is almost as good as Red Oak, and will be drier, sooner. I would go for that deal, for sure.
The EAB has arrived, so in addition to the Red Oaks that usually die here, there will also be a lot of Ash for a while.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Great score !

You're right, I should not talk that way. I have some room for storage. Actually I am in the process of moving the wood to my winter staging so that I can make room. I also requested 3 more plastic pallets from my dad who works at a furniture warehouse. I guess I will make a few more trips. I wish they were cut a bit small because I burn a lot more in my little insert than I don in my upstairs hearth. I could cut them down I guess.....There are about 7 shorter rounds but they were big so I will pull the splitter over there next time and get those split and moved first.

Who doesn't love a good piece of ash . . . it typically splits like a dream, seasons relatively quickly and is a good mid-grade hardwood. If someone for some odd reason said I could only burn one species of wood I would burn white ash.