Score of the Spring!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Here is my most recent score. Probably about 2-3 cords c/s/s and it's all Ash, Red Oak, Maple, and Cherry. This is going in the 2022 stacks...time to get buckin' :cool:.

If you don't have a good source of wood on your own property I recommend finding a friendly local tree guy. I still scrounge but its nice to have a consistent source of quality wood. I can usually get a trailer full, like this load, on a weeks notice for $100. All hardwoods. Its basically just a tip for the delivery and to keep him coming back!

Call around, you'll be able to find one looking to move some logs. It's a win win. You get wood, they get space and a little extra $.

20200610_132127.jpg

Great log drop! Looks like my driveway after my tree guys come by!

Great size stuff. Easy to handle.

Ash, oak, maple, and cherry. You got that load delivered for a hundred bucks? Good God! Dios mio!! Gott im Himmel!!!

Reactions: JimBear
Managed to get it all cut and stacked the past 2 days. I like to get all the messy chainsaw work done first to limit the cleanup. Now I can split/stack into permanent storage over the next couple weeks with the kids. Time to get the Fiskars out!

20200612_165836.jpg

3 rows deep in the back with maple and cherry. The right side is the ash. No oak as I originally though but that's ok I'm happy with it. Biggest logs are 16-18" or so. Perfect for my 18" 440e husky. The Ash was serious, it ate up my chain. I had to file 3-4x to get through the entire load.

Yes $100 for the load and it's a standing offer. Befriend your local tree guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZ Tom
I said I could handle most stuff to my tree guy, the guy includes a gigantic piece of sugar maple. Spent 12 hours with the MS261 at full throttle to cut it up. 3 cuts to cut out a normal size round, probably 40 pieces. Had to use a tow strap to the hitch and a pounded in wedge to flip it once I had to top half cut off.

I said I could handle most stuff to my tree guy, the guy includes a gigantic piece of sugar maple. Spent 12 hours with the MS261 at full throttle to cut it up. 3 cuts to cut out a normal size round, probably 40 pieces. Had to use a tow strap to the hitch and a pounded in wedge to flip it once I had to top half cut off.

I told him I can handle anything 36" or less and I've had good luck. I've only had one borderline too big piece this year. It was a 35" or so giant red oak base. I was BARELY able to double cut with my 18" husky. I dont mind the extra work for quality wood though.

More than 2x bar length is pretty annoying but at least it was good wood! Sugar maple is great.

I spent some quality time today with my Isocore and Splitting axe:

20200614_195506.jpg

Nothing like a good day of splitting by hand. I love my Fiskars! Maple, Cherry, and Ash on this rack.

Maple, cherry, and ash. Beautiful! Schon!! Hubsch!!! Wunderbar!!!!