Score one for the noob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NW Walker

Nov 26, 2012
Hi gang, just had to share. I'm not new to wood burning, but have learned so much from you all these last couple months of lurking here. I have been struggling with less than great wood all season, although I might not have known I was struggling so much had I not learned what I've learned here. Thanks for that! Anyway, my folks asked me to help out by taking down a standing dead tree that was hanging out over the salt water. We had put a rope swing on it when we were kids, and the neighborhood kids still used it occasionally. My father was worried about that, as it was starting to show signs of rot, so he asked me to take it down for him. Well, I've been waiting for the right tide and weather for a few months now, and yesterday was the day. I got it down, and then had to haul it up a flight of stairs and then a couple 100' uphill with a wheelbarrow. Lots of work, and racing the tide. Once I got it home, I put the MM on it. Average around 17%! I couldn't believe it, I'm so pleased I just had to share. It's not a whole lot, but it should last me a couple months at the rate I burn. Oh, did I mention it's Madrone! Yes!

P1030626.jpg

Thanks Tim, I intend to keep at it. One thing cool about the Madrone I didn't know, it burns completely silently. I keep looking over my shoulder to see if the stove is out, and am happy to find the thermometer hotter than it usually is with the fir I've been burning. I'm really pleased.

Welcome to the forum NW Walker.

Just reading about how you had to get that out of there made me tired!

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for the welcome Dennis. Yeah, it was a bear, if it had been any other type of wood it would have stayed there for beach fires. No way I could pass up dry Madrone though, or any Madrone for that matter. It's hard to come by, even here. If it's ever for sale it goes for almost twice what any other wood sells for.

Welcome !

Good score

All the hard work will make it burn even better ;)

It has already warmed you up a few times,
Now it can warm up the whole family :)

Thanks for the welcome Dennis. Yeah, it was a bear, if it had been any other type of wood it would have stayed there for beach fires. No way I could pass up dry Madrone though, or any Madrone for that matter. It's hard to come by, even here. If it's ever for sale it goes for almost twice what any other wood sells for.

I've heard good things about burning that stuff. Would like to try some sometime but that would be a long way to haul it. lol etiger gave me some locust to try out as that is another one we don't have here. We'll be giving it a good run to see how it performs.

Welcome to the site, NW Walker! Good on you for getting that tree down safely. Looks like it'll be ready to go in short time!

Status
Not open for further replies.