Scrap this chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmopt

Oct 19, 2008
PA
We're in the middle of a remodel of most of our house (built in 1949) and although I looked at the upstairs chimney when buying it, which looks very good and clay liners look perfect, today I took a look in our downstairs chimney and had a WTF moment. Before purchasing there was a gas log set in both fireplaces, and they both looked to be used occasionally.

I got a flashlight and looked up and can see exposed wood where it looks like the mason was moving the flow of exhaust to the left but currently the cement had fallen off. I'm assuming even if intact this wouldn't meet code and something you'd use. I had planned on lining this chimney, but even so, I'm assuming I'd need major repairs for it to be safe? I think I will scrap this chimney and put a stove more central in the basement with double wall going to the attic through a closet we don't use, probably with an insert upstairs first.

The upstairs chimney goes straight up and I'm less worried about it since I can see the clay and they look good, but it still leaves me wondering... Lastly, this mason work looks nothing like the upstairs one. It's almost as if they sent their junior guy to the basement while they did the upstairs one...

Crappy pics from my blackberry enclosed.

Attachments

• IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 282
If I'm seeing this right the board just diverts the exhaust to one side to exit up the chimney? I'm guessing the board was used as a form to lay the chimney and should have been removed. I'd see if you can pull it out and then put in a liner.

GKG-MO said:
If I'm seeing this right the board just diverts the exhaust to one side to exit up the chimney? I'm guessing the board was used as a form to lay the chimney and should have been removed. I'd see if you can pull it out and then put in a liner.

Good call, I'm going to see if I can yank it out.

By coincidence I saw my Buck Stove 74 on sale today and am picking it up in a few hours for upstairs. I planned on using a coal stove downstairs, and if I can get that board out I'll be a happy man today to have my upstairs stove and this problem maybe solved.

No joy, that board is in there. There is a board below that is holding it it and a couple nails at the top. The flu damper is only 4 inches and this picture was taken with my arm through that, so getting to the board is tough. I may consider using a sledge to get the damper out because it is only held in by a row of bricks on the edge. There is a ton of other bricks holding this together, and usually I'd error on caution, but I see no problems taking this damper out.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.