Scraping & Sanding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I plan on scraping and sanding the outside porch handrails and spindles. After scraping I plan on sanding with a sandpaper grit between 80 to 150, after I'm done would it be best just to wipe them down with a clean rag or should I also vacuum them or is there a better way to clean them before painting.

Thanks
Mike

Scraping and sanding by hand with 150 paper should be good
If you have a compressor blow it off then wipe down (water) with a damp rag
allow to dry should take less than an hour paint
better you than me I hate painting

Reactions: thewoodlands
I like to clean wood with TSP before I paint or prime, but a damp rag should be fine for removing the dust.

Reactions: SpaceBus
If you are going to go to all that work then your very best bet is to repaint with Swedish linseed oil paint. It is permanent, you will never have to scrape or repaint again for 50 years. I would never paint with anything else, but you have to start with bare wood like in your case. Go to their web site and spend some time reading.

Professional way:
Wash, scrape, sand everything to a feathered edge rescraping as needed to remove any paint found while sanding, blow off dust with an air compressor or even a leaf blower, wipe everything down with a very slightly damp rag rinsing frequently, prime at least the bare wood but depending on how much is needed you can prime everything, fill any spots with exterior spackling, sand those spots smooth, spot prime those areas, sand everything lightly to remove standing grains of wood, blow off dust and wipe down with the clean rag just like above. That should take about 85% of the time for the entire project. Two coats of paint and it'll look new.
Don't fall for the hype of primer and paint all in one, you still have to put on two to three coats if you follow the instructions.

You can just wash, scrape, sand quickly, clean as above and then paint. It will look ok. The results will not be as nice and it won't last as long but the time needed will be cut in half.

I did scrape,sand, take the air compressor to it and wipe it down with a damp rag and then repeated the process. If I have primer I'll use it but I won't make a special run into town unless I need more sandpaper for the Ridgid 5 inch orbital and the Ryobi 3 inch triangle sander, if I go for the above then I'll pick some up.

I have the front porch that will need painting before fall so I should make a trip. I'll start painting on Thursday and finish it by or on Saturday.

I did scrape,sand, take the air compressor to it and wipe it down with a damp rag and then repeated the process. If I have primer I'll use it but I won't make a special run into town unless I need more sandpaper for the Ridgid 5 inch orbital and the Ryobi 3 inch triangle sander, if I go for the above then I'll pick some up.

I have the front porch that will need painting before fall so I should make a trip. I'll start painting on Thursday and finish it by or on Saturday.
Primer is totally worth it, especially a good outdoor primer.

Primer is totally worth it, especially a good outdoor primer.
I decided before supper that I'll make the trip in, I have a few other things that I'll grab when I'm in there.

I freaking hate painting and I don't do it. My deck is mahogany weathered to a natural silver and it has stainless steel cables.

I have been having a few peaceful months. First I mudded, then I primed, then I textured and now I am painting. I used 20 gallons of pva primer, and am at the 20 gallon mark for paint with about 15 gallons to go. One coat on primer and two for paint.

Life is great. Kitchen cabinets and bath vanities arrive on Monday. I took a break between priming and texturing to build the deck and heat up the 400 amp meter base. I have power inside now. 200 amps to the house, with a separate 200 amp breaker reserved for the future shop. I'll most likely order flooring tomorrow.

After a day out on the water, I finished up sanding some spots so hopefully Mother Nature allows me to get once coat of primer on. I'll go with two coats of primer and one coat of paint on unless some of the worst needs a second coat of paint the all of it will get the second coat. The attached pictures are from the first scraping and sanding, I went over it a second time and then checked it again tonight.

After the above is done, I'll start on the other side.

Attachments

• 104_0590.JPG
    104_0590.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 104_0591.JPG
    104_0591.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 104_0592.JPG
    104_0592.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 139
  • 104_0593.JPG
    104_0593.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 104_0594.JPG
    104_0594.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 104_0595.JPG
    104_0595.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 147
I didn't get all of what I was painting done, once the clouds started to roll in, I finished up. I think that two top rails were the only thing that didn't get paint. It looks like we'll be in for a wet two days so the painting will have to wait.

A little late to the party, but my two cents are to wipe down with a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirits (or paint thinner) after the sanding, brushing, and blowing. This will pick up the last bits of sand dust without raising the grain as much as water does.

I put a second coat of primer on the side of the front porch I've been working on, hopefully tomorrow it will get a coat of paint.

On Monday if the weather permits, I'll start the scraping and sanding on the other side. I'm hoping the second side is done by July 26th if not sooner.

Once all the painting is done, maybe I can mill up some boards if the weather cools down some.

Tuesday was spent receiving a new washer and then making a run to my old hometown to water some flowers on some graves in the cemetery. I also made three other stops on my way back so the day was pretty much shot when I got back.

Today I finished what was going to be done on Tuesday. I finished a bit of scraping and then sanded a lot of it again, I took the air compressor to everything I sanded, wiped it down with a dry cloth and then a damp cloth so the second side is ready for paint.

I wanted it done by the end of this week but we might have rain coming in so we'll see how long it pushed my timeline back.

The first coat of primer is on the second side, the last coat of primer will go on tomorrow and the paint on Sunday.

I did get the second coat of primer on today, hopefully tomorrow a coat of paint goes on. I used Ultra White since I had some, it definitely looks a ton better but new paint always looks better.

Just another day closer to getting in the woods for trail widening or getting some American Hophornbeam, the Rhino is ready to work. I'll be running the Rhino until I get certain trails wider for the RTV or like my wife calls it, Karl.

We had a nice breeze with some hot temps today, but the majority of the last side is done. I avoided ours too, they can drive you nuts or make you see double depending on how many you're painting but that is pretty much over. I will clean and check them every year instead of waiting almost 17 years to paint them.

Not all the wood railings are painted with one coat of paint but the balusters are, the top & bottom rails will get a coat of paint and the post will need another coat of paint too.

I guess the best part of the day was a little cool off in the Brook, not much water coming down through but it felt nice and the Rhino stretched its legs some.:)

While having coffee this morning, I changed my plans and cleaned one side of the TimberTech on the front porch. I used what I call a teardrop scraper to clean out the grooves especially where the weep holes are, I then vacuumed all the sand and dirt up.

After that I took clean water with an HDX scrub brush and I cleaned the TimberTech on that side, six buckets of clean water and that part was done until I decided to use a roller mop to clean up the dirty water.

After I was done with the above, I cleaned the four chairs we have on the front porch with water and Dawn, that worked out great.

Attachments

• 104_0614.JPG
    104_0614.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 104_0615.JPG
    104_0615.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 104_0616.JPG
    104_0616.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 104_0620.JPG
    104_0620.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 104_0621.JPG
    104_0621.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 104_0622.JPG
    104_0622.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 104_0623.JPG
    104_0623.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 104_0624.JPG
    104_0624.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 137
I haven't put many pictures of the painting up so I took some today.

Attachments

• 104_0610.JPG
    104_0610.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 104_0611.JPG
    104_0611.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 143
  • 104_0612.JPG
    104_0612.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 104_0613.JPG
    104_0613.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 129
I'll start painting the last part of the porch tomorrow, the 2 x 10 under the decking on the front and sides will get its last coat of paint.