Screen porch advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Backtobasics

Aug 2, 2020
Alabama
My wife and I are about to start building a house. We have a screened porch that is 15ft x 16ft that we will block in using vinyl inserts in the winter. We live in Alabama and want to use it year round. Our plans call for a fireplace with a prefab insert. I've not gotten too much heat from one in the past but I will say they were old. I'm looking for advice on several levels. My wife wants something that looks nice and I want that plus heat. I suggested a stove and she thought it wouldn't look nice. I'm wondering if the elements would be an issue. Looks like inserts for this use are stainless steel but don't see any mention of weather concerns with a stove. So the questions are as follows: 1. fireplace or stove and what recommendations? 2. If stove, any concern about the elements, rust or other desegregation? 3. If stove, what could we do at the end of the room to make it "nice"? 4. Is there a way to use a stove insert with a prefab insert or is that just crazy talk (elements concern too)?

I appreciate the advice. Remember, new construction so changes are easy at this point. Also, we are budget minded. Thanks!

What you're describing is not an insert, but a zero clearance fireplace.

A stove is a freestanding heater
An insert goes into an existing fireplace
A Zero Clearance fireplace is a prefabricated fireplace in a metal box with a metal chimney.

Realize any wood burning device you will need at least a cord of wood constantly seasoning on your property for efficient burning.
If this is a problem and you have gas, get a gas insert and flip a switch to get heat.

I've checked around and no one has heard of a zero clearance stove. Do you have a link to something I would take a look at?
They are referring to a Zero Clearance Fireplace, not stove. Google or a search in this forum will show hundreds of examples.