Scrounge in the heat today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
Asplundh tree service is in the neighborhood doing contract work for the power company. I was able to get some elm, and then I realized that down the road there was some ash so I concentrated my efforts on that. I got about a 1/4 cord total because I had to be somewhere, and I was soaked with sweat. I had fun running my MS250. 0e60254df97c7d1ce848e97fefb2e5a3.jpgb6833758eed57b0890565d82db0e575e.jpg

Sweet score!

Reactions: Tom123
Always keep an eye out for the power co. Getting ash is double good. Nice score.

I'm in canton ct. There is so much good wood on the sides of the road. I think I need to buy a pick up truck lol nice score

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I went back today and got another 1/4 cord or so. There's still allot of wood there.833bc1c2834500a97f48a5dd72538209.jpgca2540e65a46a7be1f3184a39d2fbb52.jpgc9d00188e0735f4da0e3fc86babad24a.jpg

Geography is a funny thing . . . around here . . . folks would be all over that like flies in molasses or the home owner would be out there bucking it up and moving it away from the road to insure no one took it. I very rarely get any wood in this way due to this fact. Then again, lots of folks in this area burn wood and take their wood seriously.

Allot of people around here burn too. There has been a good amount of wood available and allot of people have wooded lots. Some people won't go for wood if they have to carry it out as I did.

It is literally every where in Northwest Connecticut. Between the Emerald Ash Boer, and northeast utilities there is a huge supply of wood. There are are large amount of burners here, but between family friends and neighbors I have access to more than I can handle. There is literally 100's of trees on the sides of the roads. Some are marked don't take others with signs that say free.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So true. I am working on 4 years out. I'm selective scrounging. Ease of access, quality etc. the scrounger in me has to check everything out though.

Great lil score !
ENZO, yes on the truck! I bought a $2400 beater just for the purpose and
it's going to pay for itself quickly @ a savings of $100 weekly on my power bill.
Went from 5-6 hundred monthly to 120-130. To achieve this I needed some basic
equipment. A truck that can get scratched, splitting axe, and chainsaw (all used).
The total outlay for everything inc stove was $5,000. Now saving 3k annually.

Scrounging came naturally to me as an already avid dumpster diver at
motorcycle shops and car audio stores.

I have a lifetime of free wood with both live and standing deads in the forest right
nest to the house.

Haven't even touched it yet as there is so much available both roadside and I too,
follow the Aslpundh guys. They have even bucked a few rounds and tossed them in my truck
on one occasion. My aunt gave me an oak last spring, etc. Literally haven't used the saw
this summer at all. Gather and split is my method thus far and getting ahead is quite easy
in this area. There's plenty of stovers up here in the forest and farms where I live but there's
endless scrounge the closer to any of the towns nearby. I come home with a bag of dog food
and a half load of wood all the time. LOL

Last edited:
EAB just keeps providing! It's sad to see the trees die but it has created a wealth of great burning wood. I picked up six 2foot rounds yesterday. Guy came out and said he has a backyard full of more like it. Today a neighbor asked about two standing dieing ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.