Scrounged a little maple today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Found a dead standing walking around today. Top 2/3's was pretty dry but most of the trunk is green as can be.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
Did you have any trouble with the felling cut?
We get unpredictable drops when the trees are hollow or punky in the heartwood.
My brother in law drops the large diameter trees for me and I cant bully him into taking any more snags or anything that looks rotten.
The tree looks good, not much punk?

Well, to qualify as a 'scrounge' you would have to get it from someone else, like a neighbor, tree guys working, etc. You 'cut' or 'grabbed' or 'got' wood that was already yours. :p Main thing is, you got wood! >> Hard or soft Maple?

Did you have any trouble with the felling cut?
We get unpredictable drops when the trees are hollow or punky in the heartwood.
My brother in law drops the large diameter trees for me and I cant bully him into taking any more snags or anything that looks rotten.
The tree looks good, not much punk?

Didn't have any issues. I didn't like the way the first few feet of the trunk looked so I made a higher cut than normal. There was very little punk, I guess I caught it just right

Well, to qualify as a 'scrounge' you would have to get it from someone else, like a neighbor, tree guys working, etc. You 'cut' or 'grabbed' or 'got' wood that was already yours. :p Main thing is, you got wood! >> Hard or soft Maple?

So that's what scrounge means lol. It's was soft red maple

Reactions: Fred Wright
Don't split it too big, and it may be ready to go this winter...

Yea i plan to split it pretty small. I've got
Another cord of maple and 2 of cherry that I'm banking on. Everything is split small. Gonna be a lot of cherry and maple these first couple years

Yea i plan to split it pretty small. I've got
Another cord of maple and 2 of cherry that I'm banking on. Everything is split small.
I got burned on some dead Ash and some soft Maple last season that I split too big, like 6", but I'm feeding cat stoves. Your tube stove may not be quite as picky and you have a longer drying season. I don't think you have to go real small, maybe 4" max dimension, which I'd call medium. Your stack pics look about the right size. 4" is what I'm holding it to this season, feeding all cat stoves. I'm stacking a bit late on some dead Ash and live Silver Maple, but I have a buffer with the dry, little stuff I got for my SILs, and I've got a windier spot where I'm stacking the Ash and Maple they'll need later in the season...I should be OK. :oops:

I got burned on some dead Ash and some soft Maple last season that I split too big, like 6", but I'm feeding cat stoves. Your tube stove may not be quite as picky and you have a longer drying season. I don't think you have to go real small, maybe 4" max dimension, which I'd call medium. Your stack pics look about the right size. 4" is what I'm holding it to this season, feeding all cat stoves. I'm stacking a bit late on some dead Ash and live Silver Maple, but I have a buffer with the dry, little stuff I got for my SILs, and I've got a windier spot where I'm stacking the Ash and Maple they'll need later in the season...I should be OK. :oops:

I hope we both are! I'm debating on whether to cover or not while its drying. It's been real wet lately but I know we'll have a long dry hot spell in july and August .What's your opinion on top covering?

I hope we both are! I'm debating on whether to cover or not while its drying. It's been real wet lately but I know we'll have a long dry hot spell in july and August .What's your opinion on top covering?
Normally I cover as soon as I can (most of my stacks are in the woods, kinda humid and not much breeze in there) but I've got a sunny, breezy spot to play with this summer so I may not cover that; So far, it seems like any rain dries off the wood quickly on the cord or so I've got over there so far. I'm still trying to figure all the ins and outs of this drying business but it seems like covering would help...sure couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.