Scrounging Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've become a scavenge-only stover.
Yet to cut a single tree, and don't own a working saw, we're very lucky here
at the state line by Lake Mi to have a huge ratio of drops by power companies
to scavengers/ scroungers. In my 'hood, there's only myself and Timdude working
a multi square mile area. There's so much available that we both choose grade one rounds,
and even share information. I literally do wear the reflective vest, and white hardhat.

The rules are generally the same for mushroomers here. It must adjoin the roadway,
be directly on power company access frontage, and wood unwanted by the property owner
by permission, or seen as unwanted by discoloration of at least 60 days exposure. I did not
look this up but Timdude told me. I don't worry about it. There's so many people who are just
plain nice and say yes to get rid of the stuff, or I snatch up the wood right next to the road that
the tree crews leave us. One from the Michigan side brings it to the house now. Ka-ching.
Buying the Asplundh crew 2 dozen doughnuts and a box of coffee has been paying me back
ever since also. I put on my gear and roll right with them bringing up the rear and scooping up
the nicest of each pile. Awesome people indeed all over up here.

Always ask . . .

I've been on both sides of the fence before . . .

I've scrounged and have always asked first . . . even when it seems that a) the person living in the apartment would have no need of the wood or b) there are no other houses around because you never know if someone has plans for that wood.

I did luck out a few years back in early-Winter when an ice storm took down several large branches in the City parks. Parks and Rec gave me permission to remove the fallen branches. I donned an orange vest, safety vest and chaps . . . and no one gave me a second glance . . . except for the one guy who told me about a traffic light downtown that wasn't working right as he apparently thought I was with Public Works.

I also took wood from the City wood dump as a worker said it was OK to do so . . . until another worker one day came along and said the City had a contract with a Chipper and he asked me to not take any more wood.

As I said . . . I've been on the other side of the proverbial fence when the town took down a large elm tree on my property and I came home several days later to find half of it missing. Turns out a fellow saw it and figured it was OK to take.

Reactions: TreePointer
Always ask . . .

I've been on both sides of the fence before . . .

I've scrounged and have always asked first . . . even when it seems that a) the person living in the apartment would have no need of the wood or b) there are no other houses around because you never know if someone has plans for that wood.

I did luck out a few years back in early-Winter when an ice storm took down several large branches in the City parks. Parks and Rec gave me permission to remove the fallen branches. I donned an orange vest, safety vest and chaps . . . and no one gave me a second glance . . . except for the one guy who told me about a traffic light downtown that wasn't working right as he apparently thought I was with Public Works.

I also took wood from the City wood dump as a worker said it was OK to do so . . . until another worker one day came along and said the City had a contract with a Chipper and he asked me to not take any more wood.

As I said . . . I've been on the other side of the proverbial fence when the town took down a large elm tree on my property and I came home several days later to find half of it missing. Turns out a fellow saw it and figured it was OK to take.

Those city wood dumps make me cry when I see the wood being chipped up. I think I would have offered the guy who said no a couple of cases of his favorite brew, and asked if he would look the other way.

Took a trailer load of in the box hubcaps, when I got out of the auto parts business, to the dump. I asked one of the rovers where to put them in the "Too Good To Waste" place. Employees came out of the woodwork and hauled them all to their cars.

The dump workers can be bought. Cheap.,

I'm not a dump worker but when I go there I always find some sort of neat thing and take it home. Last trip I found a can of billy beer. In perfect shape. And the workers always have a stash of good stuff off to the side they pick thru haha

Wished you lived closer. We have huge oaks down everywhere on our property, along with a lot of other people. I would love for someone to cut some of it up and haul it away.

Between Cookeville and Crossville. I havent walked through all our property since we had a small tornado rip through. But you could park a truck right beside 2-3 that are down. They are about perfect, maybe 20-24 inches thick

Reactions: BenTN
Between Cookeville and Crossville. I havent walked through all our property since we had a small tornado rip through. But you could park a truck right beside 2-3 that are down. They are about perfect, maybe 20-24 inches thick
I wish i was an hour closer, i would be all over that.