Scrounging Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello all,
I've finally got a pickup truck after years of lusting after one, a '17 F-150. Last truck I had was an '88 F-150 so they've changed a bit since then to say the least, haha. Anyway, they are putting in a new development near my house and I was able to scrounge some pretty decent mid sized logs from the location. I was curious if anyone out there has any best practices when it comes to scrounging? On my way to work each morning, it looks like either the state or town has done a TON of roadside maintenance over the last 6 months, there are huge logs laying everywhere along the roadside. I'd love to grab some of it. Do any of you folks just call the state or the town in those circumstances and ask? If so did you get anywhere with it? Not sure where to start but there is some beautiful stuff just sitting by the side of the road.

Thanks for any info, miss the Hearth.com community in the summer.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I saw a huge Poplar down along the side of the road the other day, so I called the public works department in my little town...he said it wasn't their property, but put me in touch with the county supervisor, who said "have at it!"

I made sure to log the guy's name, and the time/date I spoke with him in case anyone started asking what I was doing.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
For me, if it's along a major road where it is clearly not someone's yard and is more than likely state or town property and it is a lot of trees, like for powerline clearing or road widening I will just grab it. If it seems to be on someone's property I will always ask unless it says "free". But I don't ever run a saw on someone's property without asking permission. I've never had anyone say no, but some people may worry about someone being injured on their property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a huge Poplar down along the side of the road the other day, so I called the public works department in my little town...he said it wasn't their property, but put me in touch with the county supervisor, who said "have at it!"

I made sure to log the guy's name, and the time/date I spoke with him in case anyone started asking what I was doing.

Thank you! I will look for the contact information for Public Works department in the various towns I drive through on my way to work.

For me, if it's along a major road where it is clearly not someone's yard and is more than likely state or town property and it is a lot of trees, like for powerline clearing or road widening I will just grab it. If it seems to be on someone's property I will always ask unless it says "free". But I don't ever run a saw on someone's property without asking permission. I've never had anyone say no, but some people may worry about someone being injured on their property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that's exactly what I'm worried about, I know I would raise my eyebrows if a stranger fired up a chainsaw on my front lawn. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: TreePointer
If you take three guys with you, one sitting in the truck, one on his phone, one standing around drinking coffee and one guy running the saw... no one will call the cops ' cause they'll think you work for the governement.

Matching hard hats on everyone please.

Sometimes I find it's better to ask the workers on site if possible than anyone working in an office. On site workers will probably be more than happy to let you have at whatever they would otherwise have to clean up themselves.

One time a local park cut down 3 big ash trees but left a bunch of rounds in the middle of the park. I knew I'd have to split them in order to load into the truck so I called the office and surprisingly the guy was more than happy to have me get rid of it. I had a neon orange carhartt shirt on and a Stihl hat and everyone walking around just figured I was a park worker anyway.

And don't forget Craigslist. Besides residents posting their own felled trees up for grabs, sometimes a tree service will advertise free wood. Not that it's always obvious from the ad if it's a tree service, but if it is, it's best to befriend them and you will be set with wood for life.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The town was taking down some HUGE maples across the street from me. They said that they can't give the wood to anyone. They chip it all.

Who knows...I was on my way to work in my Acura and business casual...if I had rolled up on my atv with trailer in tow I may have gotten a different story.

If I can't figure out who owns the property/wood I call Lehigh County Assessments Department, give them the address and they tell me who owns the property and I go from there. I would say 8 out of 10 times I end up getting permission and getting wood out of the deal.

And also like Rangerbait does, I write down when I called, date and time and whom I talked to, that way if anyone wants to stick their nose in my business I can tell them to give them a call if it bothers them.

And I do NOT recommend that you just take it because it looks like no one else wants it or it has been sitting there for awhile, I know of people who did this and it turned out that the landowner had plans for it, you don't need any hassles. Check it out properly and get permission, like the line in John Mellencamp's song "Minutes to memories" says "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind".

If you take three guys with you, one sitting in the truck, one on his phone, one standing around drinking coffee and one guy running the saw... no one will call the cops ' cause they'll think you work for the governement.

Matching hard hats on everyone please.

It might help if you enclose the work area with bright yellow crime scene tape.

That way you save them the trouble if the cops come. ;)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm in a pretty rural setting, horse farm down the street, another a few miles away, and if the power goes out it's down for a while usually, haha.

I'll definitely get permission if I can, I'll try to get what towns the stuff is in and go from there, and in the case of the development down the street, I'll try asking one of the guys.

Chris
I am in a similar area. All the neighbors know that i burn as well as the farmers. I have put the word out that if any trees fall, would i be able to take them. All are mor than happy to give up the wood. Prior to me taking anything i check with them again. It works out better that way. Also i keep an eye out for when the farmers do some clearing. They are just putting them in burn piles anyway, they let me pull the best from the piles or they set whole tress aside. I found the setting things up prior works the best, as you are not putting them on the spot right now, they have time to think about it, and your not asking for anything right now and people are more inclined to say yes. I also made friends with a tree guy.. i bribed him with BBQ and i get alot of wood from him.. he loves the ribs i make and i am cooking anyway or i cook to much and just give it to him.. 2 racks of ribs gets me a dump truck load of log lenth

The pic below is what he droped off at my shop for a smoked BBQ chicken
20170713_125456.jpg
20170713_125422.jpg

This is all oak, cords of premium log lenth wood. All this for a chicken... i have yet to purchase wood.. the past 2 years i have scored 18 FREE cords. All oak, black cherry, hickory, a small amount of black walnut. Hope this helps you out. I love to scrounge wood.. its an addiction

Attachments

• 20170713_125456.jpg
    20170713_125456.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 140
you can also talk to a lot of local tree services. they might dump right in your yard for you. I have found that keeping a helmet and a vest in the truck helps for sure. That being said, I haven't paid for a single thing yet, and my neighbors also know that I am a wood burner, so they will tell me if they see a stick that fell down :)

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
I love scrounging, and congrats on the truck.
For me if I see something on the side of the road that's kinda no man's land I'll go back with my saw and dump trailer if I need it.
Anything around someone's house I just knock. A lot of people burn wood, but I've had people tell me if I cut it to length for them I can take half kinda deal.
I also watch for asplundh trucks and see what areas they are working in for the power line clearance.
Don't forget the town dump!
Just be respectful of other people and their property and you'll be golden.

Something that hasn't been mentioned; at least here in PA, while the power company maintains a right of way around the power line, the trees that fell are the property of the landowners that own the land under the power line. Same with the pipeline that goes through the area. The PoCo drops them where they are and lets them lay. The pipeline crew piles them up, again, to get them out of the way.

My point here is that just because the city/state/poco/ other utility cut the trees doesn't mean the trees are theirs to give away.

Reactions: pernox and E$85
Something that hasn't been mentioned; at least here in PA, while the power company maintains a right of way around the power line, the trees that fell are the property of the landowners that own the land under the power line. Same with the pipeline that goes through the area. The PoCo drops them where they are and lets them lay. The pipeline crew piles them up, again, to get them out of the way.

My point here is that just because the city/state/poco/ other utility cut the trees doesn't mean the trees are theirs to give away.
Same here in MA - always ask.

One thing I'd say to increase the supply is to start burning pine if you don't already. Lots of pine to be had for free around here because the ingrained "wisdom" in New England is that burning pine will immediately cause a chimney fire. I've gotten better than ten cord worth dropped off here just because boo one else will take it. Tree service with a customer that wants the wood gone will often deliver rather than pay to dump it if those are the only options.

20170727_140259.jpg
20170727_141716.jpg

20170728_092135.jpg

Grabbed this last week, all red oak, saw an asplundh truck at the end of the day. Drove the direction they were coming from until I found it. It's a small town without many side roads so I didn't go far. These pics are only part of it. There are 3 oak trunks, and a ton more I couldn't fit. I didn't have my trailer, and didn't even need my saw. Going back this week to get more. Keep your eyes open and you'll find it

Nice score there. I finally got some oak from the town next to mine. Someone had taken down a tree and put out a "free" sign. Not quite a pickup bed full but still, free is free.

I can't believe how much stuff pops up on Craigslist in my immediate area on a weekly basis. I guess it's a positive of living in an area where nobody really heats with wood anymore.