Scrounging Free Wood - Cheaper than a fitness membership??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People always ask if we have oil or propane. We have natural gas to the house, and sometimes when I look at the therm price (.69 cents/therm right now), I wonder if it's all worth it. Then I remember the exercise I get and the extra toys I get to play with outside. Can't beat the extra temp. in the house that wouldn't be there if I was paying for NG. I would be the one turning the T-stat down and my wife would be turning it up. With wood, it's the other way around. Can't stand the gym concept. Why waste all those extra calories doing nothing -like a hamster on a wheel. Use that energy and time actually doing something useful. Functional fitness I believe is the term they give it now. Every time I think about stopping the wood cutting, another opportunity comes along to cut and split and I can't say No.

freeburn said:
People always ask if we have oil or propane. We have natural gas to the house, and sometimes when I look at the therm price (.69 cents/therm right now), I wonder if it's all worth it. Then I remember the exercise I get and the extra toys I get to play with outside. Can't beat the extra temp. in the house that wouldn't be there if I was paying for NG. I would be the one turning the T-stat down and my wife would be turning it up. With wood, it's the other way around. Can't stand the gym concept. Why waste all those extra calories doing nothing -like a hamster on a wheel. Use that energy and time actually doing something useful. Functional fitness I believe is the term they give it now. Every time I think about stopping the wood cutting, another opportunity comes along to cut and split and I can't say No.

That's when you know you're hooked - "...another opportunity comes along to cut and split and I can't say No."

Functional fitness, the first time I've heard the term. I like it. Makes more sense. Thanks for sharing.

I spend what ever free time I have on my wood. There is no time left for a gym. I also just can't imagine doing the all work of exercise at the gym but accomplishing nothing. As said above, Id' feel like a hamster on a wheel. I spend enough time feeling like that hamster at work, why would I want to do that when not at work? I just wish I had more time to spend on the wood.

Flatbedford said:
I spend what ever free time I have on my wood. There is no time left for a gym. I also just can't imagine doing the all work of exercise at the gym but accomplishing nothing. As said above, Id' feel like a hamster on a wheel. I spend enough time feeling like that hamster at work, why would I want to do that when not at work? I just wish I had more time to spend on the wood.

Me too. More time on the wood.

Even old farts like me still enjoy getting out and cutting wood. Call it a hobby or whatever; call it exercise or whatever. It is just good to get out and cut wood. For me that means winter cutting. It is a great time to get the exercise because other things that take your time and effort in the summer have slowed down so it is good to have something to go to in the colder months. Plus there is just something about providing for your family that gives one a good feeling.

Backwoods Savage said:
Even old farts like me still enjoy getting out and cutting wood. Call it a hobby or whatever; call it exercise or whatever. It is just good to get out and cut wood. For me that means winter cutting. It is a great time to get the exercise because other things that take your time and effort in the summer have slowed down so it is good to have something to go to in the colder months. Plus there is just something about providing for your family that gives one a good feeling.

Backwoods, agree with you on providing for the family. Ever any concern about loose foothold and slip and falls during the winter months? Two winters ago I bucked up an elm. A bit of slipping and sliding, especially loading it up into my trailer by myself. I was a little leery of foothold, etc. while cutting.

I think alot of this depends on your level of fitness. I would prefer to be in the woods processing wood most of the time. All greats points raised earlier, nature, wildlife, fresh air, lowering your heating bill, etc. But, lets be real here, how do you get any kind of cardio workout whatsoever processing wood? Do you run with the splits from the splitter to the woodpile? Does anyone really swing that maul fast enough to equal your heartrate if you were actually running, or swimming?
If you are training for power, I guess you could wait until you get some big rounds and squat with them, or do some overhead presses before you split them but doesn't that defeat the purpose of efficiently processing?
I'm not arguing that processing wood isn't a great workout. I'm beat afterwards, just like everyone else. I am saying I go to the gym and get a TOTAL workout. Processing wood definately works some muscles, not all. A gym can isolate many muscles wood leaves out. A gym is also a consistent workout. You can go to the gym in the snow, rain, bitter cold, beastly hot, etc.
Just saying, there are many good reasons to go to the gym.
Is wood scrounging cheaper than a fitness membership...? absolutely. Is it a better workout...? doubtful.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wow, I can't hardly wait. December 12th baby! Doc better have good news! :coolgrin:

Blue Vomit said:
I think alot of this depends on your level of fitness. I would prefer to be in the woods processing wood most of the time. All greats points raised earlier, nature, wildlife, fresh air, lowering your heating bill, etc. But, lets be real here, how do you get any kind of cardio workout whatsoever processing wood? Do you run with the splits from the splitter to the woodpile? Does anyone really swing that maul fast enough to equal your heartrate if you were actually running, or swimming?
If you are training for power, I guess you could wait until you get some big rounds and squat with them, or do some overhead presses before you split them but doesn't that defeat the purpose of efficiently processing?
I'm not arguing that processing wood isn't a great workout. I'm beat afterwards, just like everyone else. I am saying I go to the gym and get a TOTAL workout. Processing wood definately works some muscles, not all. A gym can isolate many muscles wood leaves out. A gym is also a consistent workout. You can go to the gym in the snow, rain, bitter cold, beastly hot, etc.
Just saying, there are many good reasons to go to the gym.
Is wood scrounging cheaper than a fitness membership...? absolutely. Is it a better workout...? doubtful.

When I work I basically have two modes - work my a$$ off to get it all done NOW or even, steady getting it done when it's done. When I put my level to "high gear" my heart can get pounding, etc. This really depends on what part of the process I'm doing. Loading my trailer is very heart pounding, cardio kind of work. I have to go very, very slow to get little exercise effect. That's not my style. I want to get it loaded and get out of there. So, I'm getting a good workout. It's not the same as running or swimming. It's still cardio. The other mode is more about enjoying the moment and not being concerned about the production. Work, stop. Work, work, stop. Sip beer. Work, work, stop. Etc.

WoodNStuff said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Backwoods, agree with you on providing for the family. Ever any concern about loose foothold and slip and falls during the winter months? Two winters ago I bucked up an elm. A bit of slipping and sliding, especially loading it up into my trailer by myself. I was a little leery of foothold, etc. while cutting.

I am concerned about slipping, especially with my bad back and both hips being store-bought bones. I will not cut on ditch banks during winter unless the ground is frozen and there is no snow or ice. I did slip one time doing that and it put me out of commission for several months. So I am leery of slopes for sure. Most of the time I don't have a problem with slipping but I also make sure I have good boots on that have good grip.

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Wow, I can't hardly wait. December 12th baby! Doc better have good news! :coolgrin:

Here's wishing you good luck on that Steve. I know you are biting the bullet on this point, but it will come in time.

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Good luck with the new baby. My wife and I have been discussing having another child. We just might do it. I figure that I'll need another helper to get and process the wood. LOL

WoodNStuff said:
tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Good luck with the new baby. My wife and I have been discussing having another child. We just might do it. I figure that I'll need another helper to get and process the wood. LOL

Congrats on the new baby! We are eagerly expecting our 3rd, a girl, scheduled to be born (C-section) on Nov 19th...TWO WEEKS!!! :bug:

Blue2ndaries said:
WoodNStuff said:
tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Congrats on the new baby! We are eagerly expecting our 3rd, a girl, scheduled to be born (C-section) on Nov 19th...TWO WEEKS!!! :bug:

Congratulations!! Exciting times. Though tiring times too! LOL

Uh-oh....

In this case, I think 'baby' means 'wa-hoo', 'friggin A-bubba!' or similar....

Status
Not open for further replies.