Scrounging vehicle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GotWood?

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2006
Northwest New Jersey
Just thought I would share a picture of my scrounging operation. If any of you have an interesting way of obtaining free wood, lets see em!

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 479
:down:Which pixel is the vehicle in?

DiscoInferno said:

The one on the right , the left pixel is a tree. I could be wrong , the pixel on the right looks like a marshmallow.

DiscoInferno said:
ROTFLMAO... almost beer and bbq on the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Roospike said:
DiscoInferno said:

The one on the right , the left pixel is a tree. I could be wrong , the pixel on the right looks like a marshmallow.

When I clicked on the pic, it seemed the image got smaller. You guys get that too,or did it stay the same size?

UncleRich said:
When I clicked on the pic, it seemed the image got smaller. You guys get that too,or did it stay the same size?

Same size, but without the black-framed white strips on top and bottom.

GotWood? said:
Sorry about that. i should have re sized the picture. Damn.

That's the original? You must have the smallest digital camera I've never seen!
:p

(How many of these digs can we get in before the big picture posts?)

GotWood? said:
I took it with my phone

Ah. I'm still a Luddite there. But I assumed they had better resolution than that? That seems like a thumbnail.

So is there no big picture? You owe us a thousand words then.

Edit: Nevermind.

now we can see it.

So how far from home do you drive that to scrounge? I'm trying to imagine it tooling down the side of the road. Or are those your woods?

On your way back, you can stop off and play the back 9. A true sport-utility vehicle!

Roospike said:
Here is mine ............... Dont you guys go and take all my ideas now.

Small hands: small gloves, small feet: small shoes, Small wood vehicle: small wood. Need I say more?

The woods are about a mile from my house and yes I do cruise it down the streets. I tow the splitter there with my truck,and tow a little trailer to the site with the golf cart. I then drag the splitter to my work zone, split what I have cut, and load the trailer to take to my truck (many trips). I use an 18"poulan to cut with

DiscoInferno said:
GotWood? said:
I took it with my phone

Ah. I'm still a Luddite there. But I assumed they had better resolution than that? That seems like a thumbnail.

So is there no big picture? You owe us a thousand words then.

Edit: Nevermind.

That wasn't a THUMB nail, that was a PINKY nail

It's better now, but that's not fair to us on the back side of middle age who are glasses challenged

GotWood? said:
The woods are about a mile from my house and yes I do cruise it down the streets. I tow the splitter there with my truck,and tow a little trailer to the site with the golf cart. I then drag the splitter to my work zone, split what I have cut, and load the trailer to take to my truck (many trips). I use an 18"poulan to cut with

Ok, I am WAY overanalyzing this, but how do you get both the truck and the cart to the woods? Do you bring the cart and trailer in the truck, do you have an assistant, or do you run home in between trips? I think this calls for a detailed diagram, complete with arrows, stick figures, and a big "you are here" X.

Anyway, your setup sure beats the $30 Sears plastic garden cart I often move wood around in. I've mostly given up on wood I can't park next to, although a neighbor just offered a big backyard pile of elm I'll probably wind up hauling. I scrounge with my Ford Ranger, shown here heavily overloaded, a Husky 359 with a 16" bar, and a Home Despot special "super splitter" splitting axe/maul hybrid.

Attachments

• truck_loaded.jpg
    truck_loaded.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 272
I've done a bit of scrounging with the back of the GF's Dodge Caravan, but don't really like doing that since I don't want to overload it to much. Plus she's usually using it to get to work so I don't have access to it. I could throw quite a bit of wood in the sidecar, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

Gooserider

2002 Nissan frontier w/6'bed

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 245
  • nissan2.JPG
    nissan2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 214
this is my scrounging vehicle. old yeller, a 78 chevy with a load of oak.
(thanks spike)

Attachments

• custom_wood.jpg
    custom_wood.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 203
I have a 78 Ford F-350 Rack Truck out back..460 Cubic Inch with an Auto Trans..12 long bed..it only has 70 K on it but I havnt run it for a year or so due to tight finances....I have kicked my poor old 98 Olds Silouette's butt for the past 2 years..it has the easily removeable seats and I have beat the thing to death

Things should ease up this year and I will get "Big Red" back out on the road

it can carry some SERIOUS wood..when the back is better and the truck is running I will rule

right now...I haul my wood in a MiniVan

:red:

Status
Not open for further replies.