Scrounging wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy spring, almost summer and scrounging time!!!
Last year I managed to scrounge up a good 5+ cords of wood from lot clearings and roadside trimmings all with my chevy trailblazer. After about 20 loads I came to realize that I was beating on my truck that I didn't want to. This year I came a across some good piles from cuts made for new power lines and gas lines in my area. I really want to get more, but the beating my truck took says no. I wish I could buy a beater pickup to use, but the family budget says no. A trailer is out of the question also because of budget and no place to store it. Also the place I store my wood is not my own, so I don't want to start a huge wood yard on my friends property. I have enough wood to suit my needs for the next 2 or 3 years. I only use it for my backyard firepit, camping and cooking occasionally. So I am relagated to watch those awesome wood finds disappear into someone else's wood piles. Hopefully soon I will have a piece of property bigger to store on and a vehicle to haul with, also a house that I can have a wood stove in.
My point of my post is that I want to get more wood, but don't want to tear up my vehicle in doing so, what are some ways I can accomplish this? Thanks!!

Last year I managed to scrounge up a good 5+ cords of wood from lot clearings and roadside trimmings all with my chevy trailblazer. After about 20 loads I came to realize that I was beating on my truck that I didn't want to. This year I came a across some good piles from cuts made for new power lines and gas lines in my area. I really want to get more, but the beating my truck took says no. I wish I could buy a beater pickup to use, but the family budget says no. A trailer is out of the question also because of budget and no place to store it. Also the place I store my wood is not my own, so I don't want to start a huge wood yard on my friends property. I have enough wood to suit my needs for the next 2 or 3 years. I only use it for my backyard firepit, camping and cooking occasionally. So I am relagated to watch those awesome wood finds disappear into someone else's wood piles. Hopefully soon I will have a piece of property bigger to store on and a vehicle to haul with, also a house that I can have a wood stove in.
My point of my post is that I want to get more wood, but don't want to tear up my vehicle in doing so, what are some ways I can accomplish this? Thanks!!

Trade in the SUV and buy a truck.

Put it out there to local tree services that you're an available drop-off site. This assumes you have the space available. In my case I have space behind work that is easily accessible to trucks. Some but not all of the tree services sell their wood and most are happy to drop off Pine. I had on guy drop off a load of Oak because he had no room in his yard for it and would have had to pay to dump it. The only added work is the need to transport the dry splits from work to home but I'm there already and not messing with big rounds in the family car.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sell your seasoned wood, buy old junker truck, go cut more wood; problem solved, you now have a truck and have replaced the wood you sold to buy the truck.

BTW, why do you think you're beating up on your SUV? Just roughing up the interior cargo area a bit? Or you think you're somehow wearing it out by putting weight in the rear? If it's the former, I totally understand, but there are ways you can mitigate that. Start by putting several heavy-duty moving blankets inside or building a "wood box" that slides into the back and keeps it contained. If it's the latter I think you're grossly underestimating the ability of your SUV to handle a load. People tow trailers with the things, just don't load down until the bumper is dragging and you'll be fine...

Other options are borrow a trailer (or truck if you have a friend nice enough to loan a truck for firewood cutting activities) or rent a trailer when you find a good score.

Trade the SUV for a 4 door pick up truck.

Yeah tacomas are great. I had two door extended cab I traded it in for a tundra. Wish I went with 4 door Tacoma instead.

Yeah tacomas are great. I had two door extended cab I traded it in for a tundra. Wish I went with 4 door Tacoma instead.

I've scrounged a lot of wood with my Xterra and my trailer. I didn't get the trailer for firewood hauling though. Had it many years earlier and it has been invaluable. It's paid for itself many times over by now.

You are right cannot beat a trailer. image.jpg

Reactions: Higgs
You could put an ad in Craigs List and offer to trade time for pickup use. I am approaching 70, and in a few years I could well imagine that I would gladly let someone use my pickup in return for dropping off every other load at my place.

Thanks for the tips guys, I like the moving blanket idea. I was using a tarp, but always seem to rip them. Pieces of plywood cut to size to fit on the inside of suv sounds good too. I put a rip in my door panel last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.