Sealing in or around insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Broseph85

Jun 6, 2022
Ohio
Hi,
Recent owner of a new insert, 6" linere and crown from early spring. I've been reading threads on block off plates. If I were to install a block-off plate, would this cut down on the backpressures down the chimney and the creosote/camp fire smell that's coming in?

After the installer put in our insert, we immediately noticed a small draft at the base of the insert along with a chimney, creosote smell. We were told it was due new crown we had put on the day before and temperatures getting warmer during day time and cold at night which would stabilize in a day or two. While the smell did dissipate some, it never fully went away and is especially worse during hot days. Anything above 80 and the entire room starts smelling like a chimney.

The installer came back and inserted a bunch of Roxul and had a negligible difference. Besides the smell, I'm also a little concerned with whether or not the odor itself is toxic / harmful, so want to cut it down as much as possible and have been running a quality air purifier 24/7 which has really helped out.

Hi,
Recent owner of a new insert, 6" linere and crown from early spring. I've been reading threads on block off plates. If I were to install a block-off plate, would this cut down on the backpressures down the chimney and the creosote/camp fire smell that's coming in?

After the installer put in our insert, we immediately noticed a small draft at the base of the insert along with a chimney, creosote smell. We were told it was due new crown we had put on the day before and temperatures getting warmer during day time and cold at night which would stabilize in a day or two. While the smell did dissipate some, it never fully went away and is especially worse during hot days. Anything above 80 and the entire room starts smelling like a chimney.

The installer came back and inserted a bunch of Roxul and had a negligible difference. Besides the smell, I'm also a little concerned with whether or not the odor itself is toxic / harmful, so want to cut it down as much as possible and have been running a quality air purifier 24/7 which has really helped out.
Was the chimney firebox smoke chamber and smoke shelf all cleaned thoroughly before the install?

Was the chimney firebox smoke chamber and smoke shelf all cleaned thoroughly before the install?
The chimney was swept before the inspection but when the contractor that put the insert in came out to look at things he grabbed a handful of soot off what I believe is the shelf (just above the damper). The firebox itself was pretty clean, and actually they had to remove the rear part of the firebox to fit the insert in .

The chimney was swept before the inspection but when the contractor that put the insert in came out to look at things he grabbed a handful of soot off what I believe is the shelf (just above the damper). The firebox itself was pretty clean, and actually they had to remove the rear part of the firebox to fit the insert in .
If he pulled a handful of spot off the shelf it probably wasn't cleaned well enough. Which is probably the issue

If he pulled a handful of spot off the shelf it probably wasn't cleaned well enough. Which is probably the issue
So regardless, I’m pulling the insert to clean and possibly put in a block off plate. I figured the plate would be the next to full-proof option since it’s essentially replacing the damper that was there with the open fire place and I rarely had any issues of creosote smells unless there was a huge weather and atmospheric pressure change.

Or is a block off only good at trapping heat from the insert?

So regardless, I’m pulling the insert to clean and possibly put in a block off plate. I figured the plate would be the next to full-proof option since it’s essentially replacing the damper that was there with the open fire place and I rarely had any issues of creosote smells unless there was a huge weather and atmospheric pressure change.

Or is a block off only good at trapping heat from the insert?
The block off plate will probably take care of the smell issue. But won't fix the fact that there is flammable creosote left between the old and new liner.

Reactions: Broseph85
The block off plate will probably take care of the smell issue. But won't fix the fact that there is flammable creosote left between the old and new liner.
Thanks, I plan on getting in the fire box with the insert removed to get a good cleaning above inner lintel past the old damper. I imagine the build up there was neglected and a result of the sweeping from last spring. Probably a little harder if a job with the SS liner in the way.

Now to figure out how to remove a 450lb insert out of the fire box

Now to figure out how to remove a 450lb insert out of the fire box
Slide it out on sheet metal or if there is room, roll it out on a pieces of 1/2" pipe.

I have used moving blankets under mine. Did you watch the installer put in the liner? Do you know how to remove the appliance adapter?
I’m surprised you could with how much some of these weigh. By adapter if you mean the front face plate? Then, yes it’s a simple cleat style fit (interlocking cleats) and you just lift up and I’ve already had it off

I’m surprised you could with how much some of these weigh. By adapter if you mean the front face plate? Then, yes it’s a simple cleat style fit (interlocking cleats) and you just lift up and I’ve already had it off
The appliance adapter connects the insert to the liner. Sometimes there are brackets that secure them sometimes it’s just the weight of the liner. I’m not sure I could pull my insert out without going to the roof and removing the top plate that’s siliconed down and pulling the liner up 4” bracing with 2 pieces of 2x4.