Sealing storm collar--seeking advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
So I go to clean my chimney the other day and notice that a bit of water has leaked down my pipe (we had just had 2 days of steady rain). I have a double wall Duravent pipe that goes through a standing seam roof. It has a silicone boot and then a storm collar. I'm guessing that the leak is coming from the storm collar. At any rate, I called a chimney guy and a roofer--both suggested that I use a product like Through the Roof to seal the collar. They said that they "wouldn't worry" about the temperature of the pipe. I was leaning toward a high temp silicone before the calls. So now I'm on the fence. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also, specific recommendations about sealants would be helpful as well.

I use a Clear Silicone Sealant that has a Temp Range of about 400 deg, and I have never had any issues. There is usually, not a lot of heat up at that height. I like the silicone because it doesn't dry up and harden and crack.

Reactions: Prof
Any high quality silicone will be just fine. No need for anything special in this application.

Use clear product. I used a grey product to match the pipe and regret it.

What happened when you color matched?

The grey doesn't match stainless steel and looks like heck. If you use clear then you can see the SS metal through the sealant and even the mirror finish works. Purely an aesthetic consideration. Any color will function. Sometimes you even see guys using high temp RED RTV on the storm collar. I find that super ugly.

silicone, make sure you work it in with your finger tip. Just pumping a bead on there and letting it go will not seal shat.

Reactions: webby3650 and Prof