Seasonally relocating thermostat to basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I am exploring alternatives to adding a minisplit to my basement. The issue is when we run the woodstove upstairs. The basement gets no heat. Now if it’s really cold (10 days a year) I will light a fire in the downstairs insert. I have considered a mr cool DIY mini split.

But I was thinking why don’t I just add a couple more vents (ducting is mostly all exposed currently 4 vents for about 1000 sq ft my) in the basement and seasonally relocate the thermostat to the basement in the winter. Closing off most of the upstairs registers.

Is this as simple as pigtailing another thermostat wire onto the current one and installing a new thermostat base plate i. The basement so I can just pull the thermostat off the wall upstairs and move it to the basement. Current Heatpump is two stage variable speed blower. Low stage is rated at 22k btus at 800 cfm (I think).

Is this a silly idea? What are your thoughts?

Evan.

Reactions: clancey
Is this as simple as pigtailing another thermostat wire onto the current one and installing a new thermostat base plate
Yes, for thermostat function anyway.

A few thoughts come to mind:
  • Where will the humans be? Consider putting the thermostat where human comfort is needed. That's really what matters.
  • You could install a newer thermostat that relies upon a remote sensor in the basement. If you really want to get fancy you could couple this with powered dampers that control where the air flows to.
  • If you install registers in the basement you'll probably want to close off those upstairs during the winter and (maybe) vice-versa during the summer. This may not be a bad idea for basement humidity control also.
I can't comment on the silliness seeing as I have these sorts of thoughts all the time. ;)

If you do that., leave the thermostat upstairs and run a new wire to a new thermostat in basement. To keep it super simple just disconnect thermostat wire at the furnace for upstairs and connect new wire for basement t stat. You can switch these back and forth whenever u want.
The remote sensor may be an even better idea.

Yes, for thermostat function anyway.

A few thoughts come to mind:
  • Where will the humans be? Consider putting the thermostat where human comfort is needed. That's really what matters.
  • You could install a newer thermostat that relies upon a remote sensor in the basement. If you really want to get fancy you could couple this with powered dampers that control where the air flows to.
  • If you install registers in the basement you'll probably want to close off those upstairs during the winter and (maybe) vice-versa during the summer. This may not be a bad idea for basement humidity control also.
I can't comment on the silliness seeing as I have these sorts of thoughts all the time. ;)
There is only one main duct and feeds upstairs and down. Downstairs was finished at some point after the ducting was installed. I wish I had a reasonably cost effective way to get 2 zone heat. I just don’t see a reasonable way and my current heatpump I hope has 10 years left.

The humans spend most of the time upstairs but as the kids get older that will change. I’m sure if I called a professional they would want to add new compressor and and condenser in the attic and run all new ceiling vents. For the upstairs and then figure out how to get air return for the basement into the exhausting package unit. That would be the expensive best solution. I’m not up for spending that yet, and ducts in attics are silly.

I imagine with a strip door 12” off the floor to the basement that allows the return air to move up the stair case I could probably balance the temps during heating season by adjusting vents room by room. Cooling. I basically close all the vents but one in the basement during the summer. Heatpump water heat and a dehumidifier keep it under 70% RH.

If you do that., leave the thermostat upstairs and run a new wire to a new thermostat in basement. To keep it super simple just disconnect thermostat wire at the furnace for upstairs and connect new wire for basement t stat. You can switch these back and forth whenever u want.
The remote sensor may be an even better idea.
It’s 3 heat stages, 2 cool, fan and a common. Might be an extra heat in there I missed. I’ll mess that up at least every other year if I swap it every season. I’m just going to see if I can find the wall plate that the wires connect to and the actual thermostat plugs into.

Just get a wireless thermostat... By the time you figure supply's, time, etc you will be in it for the same price. Then you can just control things with your phone

Just get a wireless thermostat... By the time you figure supply's, time, etc you will be in it for the same price. Then you can just control things with your phone
Any recommendations? Quickly googled it and nothing really jumped out that was a good solution.

I have not figured out where the logic for stage 1 and 2 is. I’m guessing it’s the thermostat but can’t tell for sure. Unit has some dip switch settings. Blower speed has to be controlled by the unit. Need to figure out of the emergency heat just locks out the compressor or actually ups the resistive strip power.

no suggestions at the moment. i researched it a while back but cannot remember what i had come up with.. I wanted to relocate mine as they are 2 close to the outside door. So everytime we go outside it trips the furnace

Reactions: EbS-P
Reactions: fbelec