Seasoned kiln dried firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
Greetings!
I just bought 9 packs of seasoned kiln dried hardwood at the local supermarket, it was on sale for 3 dollars for a .75 cf pack. I brought them home and fired up the first few sticks and they're sizzling (and smoking) to my disappointment. I've got 1 1/2 cords of somewhat dry wood but wanted to supplement it with something nice and dry. I'm thinking of returning it -- I'm quite disappointed! Has anyone out there experienced this?

If it says it is seasoned, kiln dried firewood and it sizzles and smokes, then they misrepresented the product to you. Yes, return whatever you haven't used, maybe if you complain hard you can get back the money for the part you burned, too. Maybe that is why it was 'on sale,' it wasn't actually dried. I would think for $512/cord you could do better, although if you only burn really small amounts of wood perhaps it is a viable option. I often wonder who buys that stuff, and more importantly how to get into the seller's side of it.

The only time someone I know bought a bunch of firewood I made fun of them. (I brought a truck full of free wood for a one night camping expedition, my friend brought a feeble bundle of wood wrapped in plastic that cost $3.) But I can see how people with no wood storage and a fireplace or something might go for it once in a while.

I had often wondered about those bundles myself.
I buy the bags of kindling when my kindling supply is about gone. I have difficulty splitting nor too much time. The bags of kindling have really saved me & are nice & dry & all different widths too.

First rule of firewood - Unless you have personally seen the wood set cut and stacked for at least a year, it's probably not seasoned. Everyone selling wood has "seasoned" wood, everyone selling used cars has a "clean, nice, or excellent shape" car, too.

Hey girl (I love saying that). If you don't split your own wood, the next time you buy wood from your vendor, ask about kindling. Many of them will give it away (its just junk to them). Lots of people simply aren't aware of this.

My wood is GUARANTEED to be properly seasoned...I'll make you a deal. I can beat your supermarket price (mine is only $500/cord). If you can stop by and pick it up, it's yours.

Yeah, I thought so, although I have read on this forum that the seasoned/kiln dried stuff if good to burn.
Thanks for the feedback!

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.