Seasoned wood and storage outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myth83

Sep 20, 2019
Germany
Hello to all,

I was wondering- when nicely dried and seasoned firewood (hardwood and some softwood, moisture content of less than 15%) is being stored outside in a roofed storage rack that is raised off Th ground (so ground moisture, rain or snow can not reach it), can the wood re-gain moisture content? Or is it a myth?

Thanks in advanced to any piece of information or advice :)

Normally wood that is kept out of the elements
undercover will not gain any moisture or just
yearly fluctuations in humidity (minable)
I have air-dried lumber in my barn that is at 8%
and has been for 15 or more years used in
fine furniture making.

Reactions: myth83
Normally wood that is kept out of the elements
undercover will not gain any moisture or just
yearly fluctuations in humidity (minable)
I have air-dried lumber in my barn that is at 8%
and has been for 15 or more years used in
fine furniture making.

Thank you for your reply

Hello to all,

I was wondering- when nicely dried and seasoned firewood (hardwood and some softwood, moisture content of less than 15%) is being stored outside in a roofed storage rack that is raised off Th ground (so ground moisture, rain or snow can not reach it), can the wood re-gain moisture content? Or is it a myth?

Thanks in advanced to any piece of information or advice :)
Yes it will gain or loose a little depending on the relative humidity. But as long as you keep it out of the elements it will be fine

Reactions: myth83